She ran to the place and then stopped short, with a little cry of surprise.
她跑了過去,停了下,發出一聲尖叫。
One of the big trees had been partly chopped through, and standing beside it,
一棵大樹,被砍去了一部分。
with an uplifted axe in his hands, was a man made entirely of tin.
在樹旁邊,是一個高舉著斧頭用鐵皮做的人。
His head and arms and legs were jointed upon his body,
他的頭、胳膊和腿都連在他的軀干上,
but he stood perfectly motionless, as if he could not stir at all.
但是他紋絲不動地站著,好像完全不能走動。
Dorothy looked at him in amazement, and so did the Scarecrow,
稻草人也同樣驚奇地注視著他,托托瘋狂地吠著,
while Toto barked sharply and made a snap at the tin legs, which hurt his teeth.
沖過去一口咬在鐵皮人的腿上,卻傷了自己的牙齒。
"Did you groan?" asked Dorothy.
多蘿茜問:“是你在呻吟嗎?”
" Yes," answered the tin man, "I did. I've been groaning for more that a year,
“是我。”鐵皮人回答到,“我呻吟了一年多了,
and no one has ever heard me before or come to help me."
卻沒有一個人聽到,或者跑來幫助我。”
"What can I do for you?" she inquired softly,
“我怎么幫你呢?”
for she was moved by the sad voice in which the man spoke.
她被鐵皮人的憂愁的聲音感動了,急切地問。
"Get an oil-can and oil my joints," he answered.
“取一個油罐來,給我的各個關節加油。”他回答說,
"They are rusted so badly that I cannot move them at all;
“它們(我的關節)銹的非常嚴重,讓我無法動彈;
if I am well oiled I shall soon be all right again.
如果給我加了油,我馬上就能恢復正常。
You will find an oil-can on a shelf in my cottage."
你們可以在我茅舍里的一個架子上找到油罐。”
Dorothy at once ran back to the cottage and found the oil-can,
多蘿茜立刻跑進茅舍,找到了油罐,
and then she returned and asked anxiously, " Where are your joints?"
回來急切地問:“告訴我你的關節是哪些地方?”
"oil my neck, first," replied the Tin Woodman.
“先給我的脖子上油,”鐵皮人回答說。
So she oiled, and as it was quite badly rusted the Scarecrow took hold of the tin head
多蘿茜把油加在它上面,它確實銹的很嚴重。
and moved it gently from side to side until it worked freely and then the man could turn it himself.
稻草人扶著他的鐵皮頭小心地左右活動著,直等到它能隨意運轉,然后鐵皮人就可以自己轉頭了。