薩姆:我覺得咱們的孩子應該去公立學校。我就是這樣的。
Yasmin: I went to a private prep school and I think it gave me a leg up in life.
亞斯茗:我念的是一所私立預科學校,我覺得這讓我的生活有了很大的提升。
Sam: I got where I am without a fancy prep school.
薩姆:我沒念預科學校也取得了如今的成就。
Yasmin: And that’s great, but I think we should give our daughter every advantage we can.
亞斯茗:很勵志,不過我覺得我們應盡量給女兒提供優越的條件。
Sam: What do you have in mind?
薩姆:你有什么想法?

Yasmin: I have information here from a few of the most selective schools. Some are parochial and some are secular. Some are day schools and some are boarding schools.
亞斯茗:我這里有幾所精英學校的信息。有的是教區學校,有的是世俗學校。有的是日間學校,有的是寄宿學校。
Sam: I’m not sending my daughter to a boarding school and that’s final.
薩姆:我不會把女兒送到寄宿學校,這點不容商量。
Yasmin: But some of the most exclusive schools are boarding schools.
亞斯茗:但是一些貴族學校都是寄宿制的。
Sam: I’m not budging on that. I want her coming home every day.
薩姆:這點我不會讓步。我想每天回家都能看到孩子。
Yasmin: All right. Let’s look at the admission criteria for the remaining schools. Wow, admission is really competitive. These have very low admission rates.
亞斯茗:好吧。那咱們再看看其余學校的錄取標準。哇,入學競爭激烈的很呢。這些學校的錄取率真的非常低。
Sam: Really?
薩姆:真的嗎?
Yasmin: Really. They also require two aptitude tests in addition to transcripts, letters of recommendation, and an interview.
亞斯茗:是的。除了成績單、推薦信和面試,學生還得參加兩次能力測試。
Sam: Do we really want to put our daughter through that? And look at the tuition!
薩姆:真的要讓咱們女兒遭這個罪嗎?還有你看看這天價學費!
Yasmin: Is that for all four years?
亞斯茗:這是四年的學費嗎?
Sam: No, for one year.
薩姆:不,只是一年的。
Yasmin: You’re kidding.
亞斯茗:你開什么玩笑。
Sam: I’m not. Public school is sounding better and better, isn’t it?
薩姆:并沒有。現在越來越覺得公立學校合適了吧?
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載