Dialogue 1
Jingjing and Mark are chatting on the subway.
京晶和馬克在地鐵上聊天。
Jingjing: Is this seat taken?
京晶:這個座位有人坐嗎?
Mark: Go ahead. Oh, Jingjing, it's you!
馬克:沒人,你坐吧。哎呀,是你呀京晶!
Jingjing: I'm on my way to work.
京晶:我這是去上班路上
Mark: Me too, I'm just looking through WeChat moments to pass the time.
馬克:我也是。我一直在看微信朋友圈打發時間。
Jingjing: Have you noticed any trends in people's posts?
京晶:你注意到最近的發布熱點了嗎?
Mark: Yeah. Lately, a lot of people have been posting pictures of when they were 18 years old.
馬克:注意到了。最近,有許多人都在曬自己十八歲時的照片。
Jingjing: Do you know why that is?
京晶:你知道為什么會這樣嗎?
Mark: Let me guess: since it's 2018, someone got the idea, and it went viral.
馬克:我猜猜,因為2018年了,有人有了這個想法,然后就廣泛地流行開來。
Jingjing: That's a good guess. This coming year is also the first year that the post-90s generation can no longer call themselves teenagers.
京晶:這個猜得好!這新的一年也是九零后們不能再把自己叫做“青少年”的第一年。
Mark: You know what I noticed about all those pictures?
馬克:你知道我在所有的這些照片里注意到什么了嗎?
Jingjing: What was that?
京晶:什么呢?
Mark: Fewer of them were selfies.
馬克:很少有自拍。
Jingjing: I don't know if that means people took fewer selfies when they were 18.
京晶:我不知道這是不是說明人們十八歲時更少自拍。
Mark: Yeah, I guess if you have a whole year of photos to choose from, you don't have to use a selfie.
馬克:對啊,我猜如果你有一整年的照片可以選,不需要非選自拍嘛。
Jingjing: The most charming ones are group photos, showing what people were doing when they were 18 years old.
京晶:最吸引人最好看的就是集體合影了,展示了人們在十八歲的時候都在干什么。
Mark: Right. It's cool to see what hobbies and interests people had when they were younger.
馬克:對。很酷,能看見人們在年輕一些的時候都有哪些喜好和興趣。
Jingjing: It's a nice trend, looking back on innocent times.
京晶:很好的一個潮流,回望青蔥歲月。
Mark: You said it.
馬克:是啊!
New words: 習語短語
trends 潮流,趨勢
something that more and more people are doing (a general change in the way people are behaving, or a behavior that is very common for a short time)
went viral 社交媒體上的快速廣泛的傳播
spread quickly, especially a video posted on social media
post-90s generation 90 后
people in 1990 or afterwards (but not after 2000)
Dialogue 2
Later on, a bunch of people get off the subway, and it is quiet enough to talk again.
接下來,一群人下車了,安靜得又可以繼續聊天
Jingjing: Are you still looking at WeChat moments?
京晶:你還在看微信朋友圈嗎?
Mark: Kind of. I'm having a look at my subscriptions. There's already an article about why people are posting pictures of themselves as 18-year-olds.
馬克:在吧。我在看我的訂閱。這里已經有篇文章在說人們為什么要曬自己十八歲時的照片。
Jingjing: Does it give the same reason I told you?
京晶:也給出了我給你說的同樣的理由嗎?
Mark: Yeah, and it talks a little about other social media trends.
馬克:對,也談到了一點其他社交媒體上流行的東東。
Jingjing: Is there a general pattern?
京晶:有普遍模式嗎?
Mark: There might be. You know, each of these trends starts out as a cute joke. It becomes wildly popular, and everyone wants to get involved. Then, a few people make a joke about the joke. Finally everyone forgets about it.
馬克:可能有哦。你知道,每個這樣的潮流都是從一個可愛的笑話開始。然后廣為流行,然后每個人都想參與其中玩起來。然后,又有一些人開這個玩笑的玩笑,最終人們把這事兒給忘了。
Jingjing: It seems like the 18-year-old posts are still a pretty hot trend. I wonder what the joke could be?
京晶:看上去18歲曬照這事兒還挺火的。我在想這可能會是個什么玩笑呢?
Mark: Well, the article predicts that people will post pictures of themselves at 18-months old, or post pictures of famous people (like Donald Trump or Lù Hán) when they were 18 years old.
馬克:這篇文章預計人們會曬自己十八個月時的照片,或者發名人十八歲時的照片(比如特朗普或者鹿晗)
Jingjing: Those would be pretty funny.
京晶:那些就挺好玩了。
Mark: There's even a guy that takes old social media trends and makes new videos about them.
馬克:甚至還有一個人把老的社交媒體梗又拿出來做了新的視頻。
Jingjing: How does that work?
京晶:怎么弄呢?
Mark: Well, he must have access to the sets at a movie studio. He took the ice bucket challenge, and set it at the time of the Beijing Olympics. Everyone's wearing those volunteer uniforms.
馬克:他肯定在電影工作室有門路。他參加了冰桶挑戰,然后把時間設置在了北京奧運會上,每個人都穿著志愿者制服。
Jingjing: Let me see. Oh yeah, here's another one where people—it looks like the Tang dynasty—are eating fresh dates and bananas.
京晶:讓我看看。這兒還有另一個,時間好像—看著像唐朝呢!在吃鮮棗兒和香蕉。
Mark: That one's good for a laugh. Those videos make it look like he was the one who started each of these trends.
馬克:那個真夠逗的。那些視頻看著好像他就是開啟所有這些潮流的人呢。
Jingjing: Interesting idea. I wonder what he'd do with the 18-year-old trend.
京晶:好玩的想法。我很好奇重返十八歲他會玩點什么?
New words: 習語短語
wildly popular 超級流行
so popular that people do/like it without knowing the reason
ice bucket challenge 冰桶挑戰
a social media trend, in which people dumped buckets of ice water on themselves and collected money for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis research (aka ALS ice bucket challenge)
good for a laugh 太好笑值得一看
funny, worth seeing/reading just because it's funny