In 1947, Anita Summers, the mother of my longtime mentor Larry Summers, was hired as an economist by the Standard Oil Company.
1947年,我多年的良師益友拉里·薩默斯的母親安妮塔·薩默斯被標準石油公司雇用了。
When she accepted the job, her new boss said to her, "I am so glad to have you.
當她入職時,老板對她說:“我很高興雇了你,
I figure I am getting the same brains for less money" Her reaction to this was to feel flattered.
因為我花更少的錢得到了一樣聰明的好員工?!彼敃r對此深表感謝,甚至還覺得有點兒受寵若驚。
It was a huge compliment to be told that she had the same brains as a man.
說她和男人一樣聰明已然是莫大的贊美,
It would have been unthinkable for her to ask for equal compensation.
再要求與男人享受同樣的薪酬則是難以想象的事。
We feel even more grateful when we compare our lives to those of other women around the world.
現在,如果拿我自己的生活與世界上許多國家的女性相比,我會覺得自己很幸運。
There are still countries that deny women basic civil rights.
目前,還有不少國家拒絕給予女性基本的公民權利,
Worldwide, about 4.4 million women and girls are trapped in the sex trade.
世界各地大約有450萬名女性仍受困于性交易。
In places like Afghanistan and Sudan, girls receive little or no education, wives are treated as the property of their husbands,
在阿富汗和蘇丹等國家,女孩幾乎沒有可能接受教育,妻子被看作是丈夫的私有財產。
and women who are raped are routinely cast out of their homes for disgracing their families.
女性如果遭到強奸,依照慣例會被趕出家門,因為她會讓家族受辱;
Some rape victims are even sent to jail for committing a "moral crime."
一些遭遇強奸的女性甚至還會因“道德犯罪”的罪名被送進監獄。
We are centuries ahead of the unacceptable treatment of women in these countries.
比起這些國家的姐妹們,我們已經領先了幾百年。
But knowing that things could be worse should not stop us from trying to make them better.
當然,實際情況也許更糟,但這不應阻止我們采取行動讓世界變得更好。
When the suffragettes marched in the streets, they envisioned a world where men and women would be truly equal.
當一部分女權主義者上街游行時,她們都在設想實現一個男女真正平等的世界。
A century later, we are still squinting, trying to bring that vision into focus.
一個世紀后,我們仍然在努力嘗試將這個愿景看得更清楚。