Introduction: Internalizing the Revolution
導言:內心的革命
I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004.
2004年夏天,我懷上了第一個孩子,
At the time, I was running the online sales and operations groups at Google.
那時,我正在負責管理谷歌公司的在線銷售與運營團隊。
I had joined the company three and a half years earlier when it was an obscure start-up
我是在3年半以前加入谷歌公司的,當時它剛剛起步,前景模糊,
with a few hundred employees in a run-down office building.
員工不過幾百人,在一棟破爛的寫字樓里辦公。
By my first trimester, Google had grown into a company of thousands and moved into a multibuilding campus.
在我懷孕3個月時,谷歌的員工已經發展至幾千人,還遷入了一個多建筑園區。
My pregnancy was not easy.
這次懷孕很辛苦。
The typical morning sickness that often accompanies the first trimester affected me every day for nine long months.
一般只在頭三個月才會發生的晨吐,我在孕期的每一天都在經歷。
I gained almost seventy pounds, and my feet swelled two entire shoe sizes,
這期間我的體重增加了差不多70磅,雙腳腫脹得大了兩個碼,
turning into odd-shaped lumps I could see only when they were propped up on a coffee table.
形狀變得很怪異,而且我只有將腳搭在咖啡桌上才能看到它們。
A particularly sensitive Google engineer announced that "Project Whale" was named after me.
一位頗具幽默感的谷歌工程師說,我正在醞釀一個“巨鯨”項目。
One day, after a rough morning spent staring at the bottom of the toilet, I had to rush to make an important client meeting.
一天早晨,在對著馬桶吐了半天之后,我開車趕去見一個重要的客戶。
Google was growing so quickly that parking was an ongoing problem, and the only spot I could find was quite far away.
谷歌的快速成長導致員工的停車問題成了大麻煩,通常我能找到的停車位都相當偏遠。
I sprinted across the parking lot, which in reality meant lumbering a bit more quickly than my absurdly slow pregnancy crawl.
我以孕婦“沖刺”的速度穿過公司停車場,
This only made my nausea worse, and I arrived at the meeting praying that a sales pitch was the only thing that would come out of my mouth.
胃里越發感到惡心。進入會場時我不停地祈禱:待會兒從嘴里冒出來的,除了與銷售業務相關的內容之外,千萬不要有別的什么東西。