"What's inside it?" asked Wilbur."Eggs?"
“它里面都是什么啊?”威爾伯問道,“是卵嗎?”
"Five hundred and fourteen of them," she replied.
“五百十四個卵。”夏洛回答說。
"Five hundred and fourteen?" said Wilbur. "You're kidding."
“五百十四?”威爾伯說,“你在開玩笑。”
"No, I'm not. I counted them.
“不,我不開玩笑。我把它們都數過了。
I got started counting so I kept on
我一直數了又數
- just to keep my mind occupied."
——只為了讓我的心不閑著。”
"It's a perfectly beautiful egg sac," said Wilbur,
“這卵袋漂亮極了。”威爾伯說,
feeling as happy as though he had constructed it himself.
高興得好象是它自己做的一般。
"Yes, it is pretty," replied Charlotte, patting the sac with her two front legs.
“不錯,它是漂亮,”夏洛用它兩條前腿拍拍它。
"Anyway, I can guarantee that it is strong.
“至少我可以保證它很結實。
It's made out of the toughest material I have.
它是用我最有韌性的材料做的。
It is also waterproof.
而且它還防水。
The eggs are inside and will be warm and dry."
里面又溫暖又干爽。”
"Charlotte," said Wilbur dreamily, "are you really going to have five hundred and fourteen children?"
“夏洛,”威爾伯做夢似的說,“你真的要有五百十四個孩子嗎?”
"If nothing happens, yes," she said.
“要是不出事,是的,”夏洛說,
"Of course, they won't show up till next spring."
“當然,它們要到來年春天才出生。”
Wilbur noticed that Charlotte's voice sounded sad.
威爾伯注意到夏洛的聲音很傷感。