As he was dropping off to sleep he spoke to Charlotte.
當它要睡覺的時候,它跟夏洛說話了。
"Sing me that song again, about the dung and the dark," he begged.
“再把那支歌唱一遍給我聽吧,關于肥料和黑暗什么的。”它懇求夏洛說。
"Not tonight," she said in a low voice.
“今天不唱了,”夏洛低聲說,
"I'm too tired." Her voice didn't seem to come from her web.
“我太累了。”它的聲音聽上去不像是從它的網那邊傳來的。
"Where are you?" asked Wilbur.
“你在哪里啊?”威爾伯問道,
"I can't see you. Are you on your web?"
“我看不見你。你在你的網上嗎?”
"I'm back here," she answered.
“我在后面這兒,”夏洛回答說,
"Up in this back corner."
“在后面墻角上頭。”
"Why aren't you on your web?" asked Wilbur.
“你為什么不在網上?”威爾伯問道,
"You almost never leave your web."
“你幾乎是從來不離開你那張網的。”
"I've left it tonight," she said.
“今天晚上我離開了。”
Wilbur closed his eyes.
威爾伯閉上眼睛。
"Charlotte," he said, after a while, "do you really think Zuckerman will let me live and not kill me when the cold weather comes?
“夏洛,”過了一小會兒它又說,“你真認為朱克曼先生會讓我活下去,天氣冷了以后不殺我嗎?
Do you really think so?"
你真這樣想嗎?”
"Of course," said Charlotte.
“當然,”夏洛說,
"You are a famous pig and you are a good pig.
“你是一只大名鼎鼎的豬,你是一只好豬。
Tomorrow you will probably win a prize.
明天你可能得獎。
The whole world will hear about you.
全世界都會知道你。
Zuckerman will be proud and happy to own such a pig.
朱克曼先生會因為有你這樣一只豬而自豪得意。
You have nothing to fear, Wilbur - nothing to worry about. Maybe you'll live forever - who knows?
你不用怕,威爾伯——什么都不用擔心。你也許會永遠活下去——誰知道呢?
And now, go to sleep."
而現在,你睡覺吧。”
For a while there was no sound.
有一會兒寂靜無聲。
Then Wilbur's voice: "What are you doing up there, Charlotte?"
接下來又是威爾伯的說話聲。“你在那上面干什么啊,夏洛?”
"Oh, making something," she said. "Making something, as usual."
“哦,我在做一樣東西,”它說,“跟平常一樣在做東西。”
"Is it something for me?" asked Wilbur.
“這東西是為我做的嗎?”威爾伯問道。
"No," said Charlotte. "It's something for me, for a change."
“不,”夏洛說,“這東西是為我自己做的。為了變化。”
"Please tell me what it is," begged Wilbur.
“謝謝你告訴我,這是什么東西啊?”威爾伯求它說。