"Help! Help!" he cried. "Oh, poor me! Won't someone come to save me?"
他喊著:“救命啊!救命啊!噢,我真苦命啊!沒人能來這兒救我嗎?”
"Who is there to help you, unhappy boy?" said a rough voice, like a guitar out of tune.
“誰能來救你呢?不幸的孩子。”一個嘶啞聲音說到,這聲音像是走調的吉他弦發出來的。
"Who is talking?" asked Pinocchio, frozen with terror.
“誰在說話?”皮諾喬問到,嚇呆了。
"It is I, a poor Tunny swallowed by the Shark at the same time as you. And what kind of a fish are you?"
“是我!是一條可憐的金槍魚,跟你一起同時被鯊魚吞進來的。你是什么魚?”
"I have nothing to do with fishes. I am a Marionette."
“我不是魚類,我是一個木偶。”
"If you are not a fish, why did you let this monster swallow you?"
“你不是魚,怎么讓這怪物吞了?”
"I didn't let him. He chased me and swallowed me without even a 'by your leave'!
“并不是我讓它這么做的,他追上我就毫不客氣地把我吞了!
And now what are we to do here in the dark?"
咱們這會兒漆黑一片的該怎么辦?”
"Wait until the Shark has digested us both, I suppose."
“我猜咱們只能等鯊魚把咱倆給消化掉了。”
"But I don't want to be digested," shouted Pinocchio, starting to sob.
“我可不想被它給消化掉。”皮諾喬叫起來,又開始抽泣起來。
"Neither do I," said the Tunny, "but I am wise enough to think that if one is born a fish,
“我也不想,”金槍魚接下去說,“但我的聰明才智足夠讓想到既然我生下來是魚,
it is more dignified to die under the water than in the frying pan."
那么死在水里總比死在油鍋里更體面些。”
"What nonsense!" cried Pinocchio.
“蠢話!”皮諾喬叫道。