Robb's neck reddened at the rebuke.
聽她責備,羅柏從臉孔紅到脖子。
"Tell me what you mean, Mother," he said meekly.
“母親,請您告訴我您的意見。”他口氣溫順地說。
"The Freys have held the crossing for six hundred years, and for six hundred years they have never failed to exact their toll."
“佛雷家族把守渡口已經六百年,六百年來,他們從來不忘收取過橋費。”
"What toll? What does he want?"
“過橋費?他到底想怎樣?”
She smiled. "That is what we must discover."
她微笑道:“這就輪到我們去發現了。”
"And what if I do not choose to pay this toll?"
“假如我不打算付過橋費呢?”
"Then you had best retreat back to Moat Cailin, deploy to meet Lord Tywin in battle... or grow wings.
“那么你最好退回卡林灣,布好陣勢迎接泰溫大人……不然就是長出翅膀。
I see no other choices."
我看沒別的方法。”
Catelyn put her heels to her horse and rode off, leaving her son to ponder her words.
凱特琳輕踢馬肚,向前奔去,讓兒子留下來思索她的話。
It would not do to make him feel as if his mother were usurping his place.
若是讓他覺得母親在搶奪他的權位,那可不成。
Did you teach him wisdom as well as valor, Ned?
奈德,除了勇氣之外,你可有教導他智慧?
she wondered. Did you teach him how to kneel?
她暗想,你可有教導他如何低頭?
The graveyards of the Seven Kingdoms were full of brave men who had never learned that lesson.
七大王國的墳墓里多的是徒有勇武,卻不知該何時低頭的人。
It was near midday when their vanguard came in sight of the Twins, where the Lords of the Crossing had their seat.
日近正午,孿河城進入先鋒部隊的視線,此地便是河渡口領主的根據地。
The Green Fork ran swift and deep here, but the Freys had spanned it many centuries past and grown rich off the coin men paid them to cross.
這里的綠叉河水既深且急,但佛雷家族的勢力早在幾世紀前便橫跨兩岸,并靠著渡河者繳納的費用致富。
Their bridge was a massive arch of smooth grey rock, wide enough for two wagons to pass abreast;
他們建造的通道是一座巨大的平滑灰石拱橋,寬度足以讓兩部馬車并眉而行;
the Water Tower rose from the center of the span, commanding both road and river with its arrow slits, murder holes, and portcullises.
衛河塔矗立于弧橋中央,以其射箭孔、殺人洞和鐵閘門睥睨河流和道路。