"I must have that crossing!" Robb declared, fuming.
“我非渡河不可!”羅柏火冒三丈,
"Oh, our horses might be able to swim the river, I suppose, but not with armored men on their backs.
“唉,我們的馬或許可以游泳,但馱著全副武裝的人可不行。
We'd need to build rafts to pole our steel across, helms and mail and lances, and we don't have the trees for that. Or the time.
我們得建造木筏,把頭盔、鎧甲和長槍等兵器運過去,可我們不但沒有木頭,更沒有時間。
Lord Tywin is marching north... " He balled his hand into a fist.
泰溫大人已經往北來了……”他握緊拳頭。
"Lord Frey would be a fool to try and bar our way," Theon Greyjoy said with his customary easy confidence.
“佛雷大人若想阻攔我們,那是自尋死路。”席恩·葛雷喬伊以他一貫的自信口吻說,
"We have five times his numbers.
“我們的兵力足足是他五倍,
You can take the Twins if you need to, Robb."
羅柏,如果必要,你可以輕易拿下孿河城。”
"Not easily," Catelyn warned them, "and not in time.
“恐怕不容易,”凱特琳警告他們,“至少絕非短時間內可以攻下。
While you were mounting your siege, Tywin Lannister would bring up his host and assault you from the rear."
當你們還在架設攻城器械的時候,泰溫·蘭尼斯特便會帶著大軍從后掩殺而來。”
Robb glanced from her to Greyjoy, searching for an answer and finding none.
羅柏看看她,又看看葛雷喬伊,想要找尋答案,但徒勞無功。
For a moment he looked even younger than his fifteen years, despite his mail and sword and the stubble on his cheeks.
一時之間,他雖然披甲帶劍,兩頰又留了短須,看起來卻比十五歲還要年幼。
"What would my lord father do?" he asked her.
“父親會怎么做?”他問她。
"Find a way across," she told him. "Whatever it took."
“想辦法過河,”她告訴他,“用盡一切方法。”
The next morning it was Sir Brynden Tully himself who rode back to them.
翌日清晨,布林登·徒利爵士親自騎馬回報,
He had put aside the heavy plate and helm he'd worn as the Knight of the Gate for the lighter leather-and-mail of an outrider,
他已經卸下血門騎士的重鎧和頭盔,換上輕便的斥候皮甲,
but his obsidian fish still fastened his cloak.
但那條黑曜石雕的魚依舊扣住披風。