"Do you understand how there could be any writing in a spider's web?"
“明白蜘蛛網上怎么會有字。”
"Oh, no," said Dr. Dorian. "I don't understand it.
“噢,不,”多里安醫生說,“我不明白。
But for that matter I don't understand how a spider learned to spin a web in the first place.
可說到這件事,我首先就不明白,蜘蛛是怎么學會結網的。
When the words appeared, everyone said they were a miracle.
那些字的出現,大家說是奇跡。
But nobody pointed out that the web itself is a miracle."
不過沒有人指出,蜘蛛網本身就是一個奇跡。”
"What's miraculous about a spider's web?" said Mrs. Arable.
“蜘蛛網有什么奇跡呢?”阿拉布爾太太說,
"I don't see why you say a web is a miracle - it's just a web."
“我不明白你為什么說蜘蛛網是個奇跡——就是一張蜘蛛網罷了。”
"Ever try to spin one?" asked Dr. Dorian.
“你試過結網嗎?”多里安醫生問道。
Mrs. Arable shifted uneasily in her chair.
阿拉布爾太太在她的椅子上不自在地動著身子。
"No," she replied.
“沒有,”她回答說,
"But I can crochet a doily and I can knit a sock."
“不過我會編織小餐巾,也會編織短襪子。”