"Sure," said the doctor.
“不錯,”醫生說,
"But somebody taught you, didn't they?"
“不過你是有人教的,對嗎?”
"My mother taught me."
“是我媽媽教的。”
"Well, who taught a spider?
“那么蜘蛛是誰教的呢?
A young spider knows how to spin a web without any instructions from anybody.
蜘蛛很小就會結網,沒有任何人教。
Don't you regard that as a miracle?"
你不覺得這是個奇跡嗎? ”
"I suppose so," said Mrs. Arable. "I never looked at it that way before.
“我想是的,”阿拉布爾太太說,“可我以前從來沒有這樣看待過這件事。
Still, I don't understand how those words got into the web.
只是我還是不明白,那些字怎么會出現在蜘蛛網上。
I don't understand it,
這件事我不明白,
and I don't like what I can't understand."
我不喜歡自己不明白的事。”
"None of us do," said Dr. Dorian, sighing.
“我們沒有人喜歡,”多里安醫生嘆氣說,
"I'm a doctor. Doctors are supposed to understand everything.
“我是一個醫生,人們以為醫生什么都明白,
But I don't understand everything,
可我不是什么都明 白,
and I don't intend to let it worry me."
我不也不打算為這件事苦惱。”
Mrs. Arable fidgeted.
阿拉布爾太太坐立不安。
"Fern says the animals talk to each other.
“弗恩說那些動物互相交談。
Dr. Dorian, do you believe animals talk?"
你相信動物會說話嗎?”