"Who is it?" asked Lamp-Wick from within.
“是誰呀?”小燈芯在里面問。
"It is I!" answered the Marionette. "Wait a minute."
“是我!”木偶回答說。“等一會兒。”
After a full half hour the door opened. Another surprise awaited Pinocchio!
過了半個鐘頭門才打開。諸位想象一下皮諾喬有多么驚奇!
There in the room stood his friend, with a large cotton bag on his head, pulled far down to his very nose.
他的朋友站在房間里,腦袋上頂著一個棉袋子,也一直拉到鼻子底下。
At the sight of that bag, Pinocchio felt slightly happier and thought to himself:
皮諾喬一看見帽子,就覺得心寬一些,想到:
"My friend must be suffering from the same sickness that I am! I wonder if he, too, has donkey fever?"
“我這位朋友一定也是跟我害一樣的病吧!我好奇他是不是也在發驢子的燒?”
But pretending he had seen nothing, he asked with a smile: "How are you, my dear Lamp-Wick?"
他裝作什么也沒看見,微笑著問他說:“你好嗎?我親愛的小燈芯?”
"Very well. Like a mouse in a Parmesan cheese."
“很好,就像一只耗子住在一塊帕爾馬干酪里。”
"Is that really true?" "Why should I lie to you?"
“這是真的嗎?”“我干嗎要說謊?”
"I beg your pardon, my friend, but why then are you wearing that cotton bag over your ears?"
“對不起,朋友,可是你頭上干嘛戴那么一頂棉袋子遮著耳朵?”
"The doctor has ordered it because one of my knees hurts.
大夫吩咐我這么辦,因為我有個膝蓋疼。
And you, dear Marionette, why are you wearing that cotton bag down to your nose?"
親愛的木偶,那你呢?干嗎也戴這么一頂棉袋子,一直拉到鼻子呀?”