He began to cry, to scream, to knock his head against the wall,
他開始又哭又叫,用腦袋去撞墻。
but the more he shrieked, the longer and the more hairy grew his ears.
可他越是叫喊,耳朵里的毛長得越多越長。
At those piercing shrieks, a Dormouse came into the room, a fat little Dormouse, who lived upstairs.
聽到這尖銳的叫聲,住樓上的一只小胖睡鼠走進木偶的屋子。
Seeing Pinocchio so grief-stricken, she asked him anxiously:
看見皮諾喬極度悲傷,她就緊張地問他:
"What is the matter, dear little neighbor?"
“你怎么啦,我的好鄰居?”
"I am sick, my little Dormouse, very, very sick—and from an illness which frightens me!
“我病了,我的小睡鼠,病得非常非常厲害……這種病可真叫我害怕!
Do you understand how to feel the pulse?" "A little."
你會把脈嗎?”“會一點。”
"Feel mine then and tell me if I have a fever."
“那就看看我有沒有發燒吧。”
The Dormouse took Pinocchio's wrist between her paws and, after a few minutes, looked up at him sorrowfully and said:
睡鼠用爪子抓過皮諾喬的手腕,幾分鐘后,悲傷的看著他說:
"My friend, I am sorry, but I must give you some very sad news."
“我的朋友,我真抱歉,但我必須告訴你一些非常不好的消息。”
"What is it?" "You have a very bad fever."
“是什么?”“你在發高燒!”
"But what fever is it?" "The donkey fever."
“是什么樣的燒?”“驢子的燒。”