O, for my sake do you with Fortune chide,
呵,但愿你為了我而責難命運女神,
The guilty goddess of my harmful deeds,
她是造致我行為不端的總根。
That did not better for my life provide
她不曾眷顧改善我的生活,
Than public means which public manners breeds.
讓我隨俗謀生,舉止不異草野之民。
Thence comes it that my name receives a brand,
于是我的名字不免蒙羞,
And almost thence my nature is subdued
我的天性的棱角也快磨平,
To what it works in, like the dyer's hand:
如染匠之手遇外色屈從于環境,

Pity me then and wish I were renew'd;
呵,可憐我吧,祝愿我獲得新生,
Whilst, like a willing patient, I will drink
我當如染病者甘心吞服下
Potions of eisel 'gainst my strong infection
一劑劑醋藥以治病防瘟。
No bitterness that I will bitter think,
良藥再苦我也不覺得苦,
Nor double penance, to correct correction.
怕什么雙重懲罰,但求改過自新。
Pity me then, dear friend, and I assure ye
呵,可憐我吧,摯友親朋,請千萬相信,
Even that your pity is enough to cure me.
你的憐憫將使我從此不病魔纏身。