Ted Williams wrote a book called "The Science of Hitting,"
泰德·威廉姆斯寫了本書叫做擊球的科學
and in it he had a picture of himself at bat
里面有一張輪到他擊球的圖片
and the strike zone broken into, I think, 77 squares.
好球區我想有77平方
And he said, if he waited for the pitch that was really in his sweet spot, he would bat .400
他說 如果我等待 在他最佳擊球點的球 他會擊出400
and if he had to swing at something on the lower corner,he would probably bat .235.
如果要到更低的角落 可能會擊出235
And in investing, I'm in a no-called strike business,
在投資領域 我處在一個沒有好球的生意中
which is the best business you can be in.
這是一項最好的生意
I can look at a thousand different companies,
我能觀察1000個不同的公司
and I don't have to be right on every one of them or even 50 of 'em.
我不用每一家都看準 甚至不用看準其中40個
so I can pick the ball I want to hit.
所以我可以選擇我想擊出的球
And the trick in investing is just to sit there and watch pitch after pitch to go by
投資的技巧就是 坐在那里觀察球場
and wait for the one right in your sweet spot.
等待那個在你最佳擊球區域的球
And the people that are yelling, "Swing, you bum"? Ignore 'em.
人們喊 揮棒啊 你傻了 忽略他們
There's a temptation for people to act far too frequently in stocks,simply because they're so liquid.
在股市中 有讓人頻繁進行操作的誘惑 僅僅是因為他們太容易改變
Over the years you develop a lot of filters,
若干年后你會開發出一種過濾器
and I do know what I call my circle of competence,so I,I,I stay within that circle,
我明白我所謂的能力圈 所以我就待在那個圈子里
and I don't worry about things that are outside that circle.
我不用擔心那個圈子以外的東西
Defining what your game is,where you're going to have an edge is enormously important.
明確你玩的是什么 你在哪里有優勢非常重要