Both Warren and I could look at our fathers and see what they did right and what they did wrong.
沃倫和我都可以向我們的父親看齊 看看什么做對了 什么做錯了
Warren's father was a real old-fashioned right-wing ideologue.
沃倫的父親是一名真正的老派右翼思想家
And his father was so intense about it,
他父親對這很熱情
that Warren just decided that it was mistake,
沃倫確定這是錯的
it cabbaged up your head to be that much an ideologue,
做這樣的思想家要滿腹經綸
so he loved his father, but he didn't want to become that much of a true believer in, in anything.
所以他喜歡他的父親 但是他不想成為任何東西的忠實信徒
My politics became more overt after my dad died.
我的政治行為在我父親去世后更加公開了
Civil rights changed my views.
人權改變了我的觀點
You know, in 1776 Thomas Jefferson wrote,"All men are created equal," and then when they wrote the Constitution,
1776年托馬斯杰斐遜寫道 人人生來平等 當他們編寫憲法時
they all of a sudden decided that, no,
他們出乎意料地就決定了
it was just 3/5ths of a person if you were black.
如果你是黑人你就等于半個人多一點
I mean, that struck me as kind of crazy.
那讓我瘋狂
I was talking to him one day about some racial issue,
我有一頭和他討論種族問題
and he said to me, "Wait till women discover they're the slaves of the world."
他和我說 等待女人發現 他們是世界的奴隸吧
Now how many men were cognizant of that, and even women then?
現在很多男人知道了 女人知道嗎