The best gift I was ever given was to have the father that I had when I was born.
我收到的最棒的禮物 就是我出生時就擁有的那位父親
I didn't want to go to college. I was 16 when I got out of high school and I was buying stocks.
我不想去上大學 我16歲時離開中學 就買股票了
I mean,I actually was having a pretty good time
我是說 我真的擁有很多時間
and I didn't see that really was much to be gained by going to college,but my dad kind of jollied me into it.
我并沒有發現我去學校我能獲得多少 但我父親會拿這個開玩笑
He had a roommate who was a friend of mine,
他有一個室友是我的好朋友
and the roommate said it would just drive him crazy,
那室友說這讓他瘋狂
because he studied all the time,
因為他一直在學習
and Warren would come in 15 minutes before the exam and just ace his way through it.
沃倫會在考試前15分鐘到場 用他的方式拿到高分
I finished in three years,cause I had enough credits,and I was in a hurry. I wanted to get out.
我三年就讀完了 因為我擁有足夠的學分 我想快點結束
When I got out of the University of Nebraska,I applied to Harvard Business school.
當我從內布拉斯加大學畢業 我申請了哈弗商學院
They told me I was to get interviewed in a place near Chicago.
他們告訴我去靠近芝加哥的地方面試
I got there, and he interviewed me for about 10 minutes,and he said, "Forget it.""You're not going to Harvard."
我到那 面試了我10分鐘 他說 忘了它吧 你沒被哈佛錄取
And so now I'm thinking, "What do I tell my dad?
所以我現在想 我該和我父親說什么
Oh, this is terrible." And it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.
這太糟糕了 結果這成了我遇到過的最好的事情
Later that summer,I was looking through a catalog
那個夏天的后半段 我在目錄里找
and in the catalog, it had these names of people that were teaching,and one was Graham and another was Dodd.
在目錄里 有的人在教書 一位是格拉漢姆 另一位是多德
I had read this book by the two of them,
這兩位的書我都讀過
so I wrote him a letter in mid-August,and I said, "Dear Professor Dodd,"I said, "I thought you guys were dead."
所以我在八月中給他寫了信 信里寫 親愛的多德教授 我以為你們已經去世
"But, now that I found out that you're alive and teaching at Columbia, I would really like to come."
但我發現現在你們還活著 在哥倫比亞大學教書 我真的很想來
And he admitted me. So, you know what?That,it just shows, you never can tell.
然后他錄取了我 你永遠不會知道會發生什么