I had everybody in the country weighing themselves ten times a day,
我要讓所有美國人每天稱十次體重
and me just sitting there like John D. Rockefeller of weighing machines.
我只要坐在那里 像體重計行業的洛克菲勒
The allowance when I was a little boy was a nickel a week,
我小時候每個星期的零花錢是一個星期五美分
but I liked the idea of having a little more than a nickel a week to work with,and I went into business very early.
但我想讓我一個星期的零花錢不止五美分 我很早就進入了商業領域了
I started selling Coca-Cola door to door.I sold gum door to door.
我挨家挨戶賣可口可樂 賣口香糖
I sold "Saturday Evening Post," "Liberty" magazine,"Ladies Home Journal," you name it.
賣星期六晚班 賣自由雜志 婦女家庭雜志
I think I enjoyed the game almost right from the start.
我覺得我一開始就很喜歡這項游戲
But I like being my own boss.
但我喜歡做我自己的老板
That's one thing I liked about delivering papers.
這是我喜歡投遞報紙的原因之一
I could arrange the route I wanted. Nobody was bothering me at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning.
我可以安排我喜歡的路線 在早上五六點鐘沒人打擾我
I was delivering 500 papers a day,and I made a penny a paper, but in terms of compounding,that penny's turned into something else.
我一天投遞500份報紙 一份報紙賺一便士 為了獲得復利 那一便士換成了其他東西
Einstein is reputed to have said that "Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world" or something like that,
愛因斯坦曾經說過復利是世界的第八大奇跡而出名
and it goes back to that story you probably learned when you were in grade school where somebody did something for the king,
有一個故事 你可能在學校里聽過 有人為國王做事
and the king said, "What can I do for you?"
國王說 我能為你做什么
And he said, "Well, lets take a chessboard and put one kernel of wheat on the first square
他說 拿個棋盤 第一個格子里放一顆谷粒
and then double it on the second and double it on the third."
第二個格子放兩顆 第三個格子里再翻倍