Pinocchio went on crying and moaning and beating his head.
皮諾喬一個勁地哭著,喊著,敲著腦袋。
Again and again he called to his little friend, when suddenly he heard heavy steps approaching.
他一遍又一遍的叫著他可憐朋友的名字,直到突然聽見沉重的腳步聲走過來。
He looked up and saw two tall Carabineers near him.
他抬頭一看,是兩個高大的火槍手到了面前。
"What are you doing stretched out on the ground?" they asked Pinocchio. -"I'm helping this schoolfellow of mine."
“你干嗎這么趴在地上?”他們問皮諾喬。-“我在救護我這同學。”
"Has he fainted?" -"I should say so," said one of the Carabineers, bending to look at Eugene.
“他暈過去了?”-“好像是的!”一個火槍手說著彎腰把埃烏杰尼奧看了看。
"This boy has been wounded on the temple. Who has hurt him?"
“這孩子太陽穴受傷了,誰打傷他的?”
"Not I," stammered the Marionette, who had hardly a breath left in his whole body.
“不是我。”木偶結結巴巴地說,身體里只剩下了一口氣。
"If it wasn't you, who was it, then?" -"Not I," repeated Pinocchio.
“不是你又是誰?”-“不是我。”皮諾喬又說了一遍。
"And with what was he wounded?"
“他是被什么東西打傷的?”
"With this book," and the Marionette picked up the arithmetic text to show it to the officer.
“被這本書。”木偶拿起算術書給警察看。
"And whose book is this?" -"Mine."
“這本書是誰的?”-“是我的。”
"Enough." -"Not another word! Get up as quickly as you can and come along with us."
“夠了。”-“不用再說別的了。馬上起來,跟我們走。”
"But I--" -"Come with us!"
“可我……”-“跟我們走!”
Before starting out, the officers called out to several fishermen passing by in a boat and said to them:
在走以前,警察叫來幾個路過的漁民并對他們說:
"Take care of this little fellow who has been hurt. Take him home and bind his wounds. Tomorrow we'll come after him."
“照顧好這受了傷的孩子。你們把他帶回家治傷。明天我們再來看他。”
They then took hold of Pinocchio and, putting him between them, said to him in a rough voice: "March! And go quickly, or it will be the worse for you!"
然后他們抓住皮諾喬,把他夾在中間,用嚴厲的口氣命令說:“開步走!走快點!不然要你夠受的!”