"What is it?" I asked, and the next minute I recognized the odour of the mimosa blossoms.
“這是什么東西?”我在心里發出疑問。緊接著,我就認出了這是金合歡花的氣味。
I felt my way to the end of the garden,
我摸索著來到花園盡頭,
knowing that the mimosa tree was near the fence, at the turn of the path.
我知道那棵金合歡樹就在籬笆附近小路的拐角處。
Yes, there it was, all quivering in the warm sunshine,
不錯,它就在那里,在和煦的陽光下,金合歡樹輕輕搖曳,
its blossom-laden branches almost touching the long grass.
它那綴滿花朵的枝椏幾乎垂到了長長的草叢上。
Was there ever anything so exquisitely beautiful in the world before!
世上怎么會有如此精巧美麗的花朵!
Its delicate blossoms shrank from the slightest earthly touch;
即使是最輕微的觸動,它那精致的花瓣也會立刻回縮并攏,
it seemed as if a tree of paradise had been transplanted to earth.
就像是一棵天堂之樹被移植到了人間。
I made my way through a shower of petals to the great trunk and for one minute stood irresolute;
撥開繁茂的花枝,我走到了巨大的樹干下面。我先是猶豫地站了一小會,
then, putting my foot in the broad space between the forked branches,
然后,我把雙腳放在了樹杈之間的寬闊地帶,
I pulled myself up into the tree.
并且開始向上攀。
I had some difficulty in holding on, for the branches were very large and the bark hurt my hands.
保持攀登姿態相當吃力,因為樹干非常粗大,樹皮還磨破了我的雙手。
But I had a delicious sense that I was doing something unusual and wonderful so I kept on climbing higher and higher,
可是我依然斗志昂揚,沉浸在征服困難的喜悅之中。我繼續往高處爬,
until I reached a little seat which somebody had built there so long ago that it had grown part of the tree itself.
一直爬到了一個凳子上。這個小凳子是很早以前的什么人綁在這里的,如今,它已經長成了大樹的一部分。
I sat there for a long, long time, feeling like a fairy on a rosy cloud.
在高高的樹杈之間,我坐了很長時間,我覺得自己就像一個坐在玫瑰祥云上的仙女。
After that I spent many happy hours in my tree of paradise,
一連好幾個小時,我在這棵天堂之樹上展開神思遐想,
thinking fair thoughts and dreaming bright dreams.
做了一個又一個有關光明的夢。