Miss Sullivan put her arm gently round me and spelled into my hand, "I love Helen."
蘇立文小姐輕輕地用胳膊攬著我,并且在我手上拼寫“我愛海倫”。
"What is love?" I asked.
“愛是什么?”我“問”道。
She drew me closer to her and said, "It is here," pointing to my heart,
她把我拉到她身邊,對我“說”:“愛就在這里”,然后就指著我的心。
whose beats I was conscious of for the first time.
這是我第一次意識到了它的跳動。
Her words puzzled me very much because I did not then understand anything unless I touched it.
老師的話令我迷惑不解,因為那時候我還不能理解無形的東西,除非我能用手摸到它。
I smelt the violets in her hand and asked, half in words, half in signs,
我聞著老師手里的紫羅蘭,一邊拼寫單詞,一邊用手勢比畫,
a question which meant, "Is love the sweetness of flowers?"
我想問的問題是:“愛是這些可愛的花朵嗎?”
"No," said my teacher.
“不。”我的老師對我說。
Again I thought. The warm sun was shining on us.
于是我再次揣摩這個詞。暖洋洋的陽光照在我和老師身上。
"Is this not love?" I asked, pointing in the direction from which the heat came.
“這個是愛嗎?”我指著發出熱量的方向“問”老師,
"Is this not love?"
“這個不是愛嗎?”
It seemed to me that there could be nothing more beautiful than the sun,
在我看來,世界上再也沒有什么比太陽更美麗的東西了,
whose warmth makes all things grow.
它發出的光和熱令萬物生生不息。
But Miss Sullivan shook her head, and I was greatly puzzled and disappointed.
可是蘇立文小姐仍然搖著頭,我陷入了深深的困惑和失望之中。
I thought it strange that my teacher could not show me love.
真是奇怪,為什么老師不能把“愛”展示給我看呢?
A day or two afterward I was stringing beads of different sizes in symmetrical groups,
記得大約在一兩天之后,我正把不同大小的珠子均勻地串在一起,
two large beads, three small ones, and so on.
先串兩個大的,再串三個小的,以次類推。
I had made many mistakes,
可我總是搞錯,
and Miss Sullivan had pointed them out again and again with gentle patience.
蘇立文小姐十分耐心地把串錯的珠子一一指出來。
Finally I noticed a very obvious error in the sequence
終于,我注意到了一個很明顯的次序錯誤,就在那一瞬間,
and for an instant I concentrated my attention on the lesson
我把自己的注意力完全集中在了手工課上,
and tried to think how I should have arranged the beads.
我該如何解決珠子的順序問題呢?