Miss Sullivan touched my forehead and spelled with decided emphasis, "Think."
蘇立文小姐摸著我的額頭,很有力地拼寫出“think”這個詞。
In a flash I knew that the word was the name of the process that was going on in my head.
剎那間,我明白了這個詞語就是我頭腦運行過程的產物,
This was my first conscious perception of an abstract idea.
這是我對一個抽象概念的初次認識。
For a long time I was still—I was not thinking of the beads in my lap,
有很長時間,我并沒有把心思放在腿上的珠子上。
but trying to find a meaning for "love" in the light of this new idea.
隨著新念頭的迸發,我試圖找到“愛”的含義。
The sun had been under a cloud all day, and there had been brief showers;
當時,太陽已經被云層遮蓋,隨后還下了一陣雨,
but suddenly the sun broke forth in all its southern splendour.
可是頃刻之間,南方的太陽便噴薄出它那特有的光芒。
Again I asked my teacher, "Is this not love?"
我又一次問我的老師:“這個是愛嗎?”
"Love is something like the clouds that were in the sky before the sun came out," she replied.
“在太陽出來之前,愛有點像天上的云彩。”老師回答道。
Then in simpler words than these, which at that time I could not have understood, she explained:
顯然,如此簡單的回答還是使我無法理解。老師繼續解釋道:
"You cannot touch the clouds, you know;
“要知道,你無法摸到云彩,
but you feel the rain and know how glad the flowers and the thirsty earth are to have it after a hot day.
可是你能感知雨水的降落;你也知道,在經歷了整天的酷熱后,那些花兒和干旱的土地是多么渴望雨露的滋潤。
You cannot touch love either; but you feel the sweetness that it pours into everything.
雖然你不能觸摸到愛,但是你能感覺到雨水滋養萬物的美好。
Without love you would not be happy or want to play."
所以說,如果沒有愛,你一定不會快樂,也沒有心思玩耍了。”
The beautiful truth burst upon my mind,
真理之美驀然出現在我的頭腦里,
I felt that there were invisible lines stretched between my spirit and the spirits of others.
在我的靈魂和其他人的靈魂之間,延伸出一條條看不見的連線。
From the beginning of my education
從我接受教育的第一天開始,
Miss Sullivan made it a practice to speak to me as she would speak to any hearing child;
蘇立文小姐就像對待那些具有聽力的孩子那樣跟我講話,
the only difference was that she spelled the sentences into my hand instead of speaking them.
唯一的不同是,她在我手上拼寫句子,而不是直接說出來。