But about this time I had an experience which taught me that nature is not always kind.
正是在那個時候,我也有了一種個人體驗,那就是大自然并不總是溫情脈脈的。
One day my teacher and I were returning from a long ramble.
一天,我和老師正從一次長距離散步中返回。
The morning had been fine,
那天一早的天氣還是好好的,
but it was growing warm and sultry when at last we turned our faces homeward.
但是當我們往家走的時候就變得燠熱難耐起來。
Two or three times we stopped to rest under a tree by the wayside.
有那么兩三次,我們停在路邊的大樹下歇息。
Our last halt was under a wild cherry tree a short distance from the house.
最后,我們來到了離家不遠的一棵野生櫻桃樹下。
The shade was grateful, and the tree was so easy to climb
樹蔭下涼爽宜人,那棵樹也很容易攀爬,
that with my teacher's assistance I was able to scramble to a seat in the branches.
在老師的幫助下,我還能爬到樹上騎在枝椏間。
It was so cool up in the tree that Miss Sullivan proposed that we have our luncheon there.
坐在樹枝間的感覺妙不可言,蘇立文小姐打算在這里進行我們的午餐。
I promised to keep still while she went to the house to fetch it.
我答應她坐在樹杈上不動,于是老師去家里拿午飯。
Suddenly a change passed over the tree.
突然,有一種變化從樹叢之間掃過。
All the sun's warmth left the air.
周圍所有的光和熱都散去了,
I knew the sky was black,
我知道天色變黑了,
because all the heat, which meant light to me, had died out of the atmosphere.
因為所有的熱度,對我而言也意味著光,已經消失在了空氣之中。
A strange odour came up from the earth.
接著,地上也泛起一股奇怪的味道,
I knew it, it was the odour that always precedes a thunderstorm,
在一場雷雨到來之前,我總會聞到這種味道。
and a nameless fear clutched at my heart.
一種難以名狀的恐懼攫住了我的心,
I felt absolutely alone, cut off from my friends and the firm earth.
我感到了徹底的孤立無助,某種力量切斷了我同朋友和堅實大地的聯系。
The immense, the unknown, enfolded me.
浩瀚、未知的氣氛將我緊緊圍裹,
I remained still and expectant; a chilling terror crept over me.
我佇立不動,翹首企盼,一陣驚駭感襲遍了我的全身。
I longed for my teacher's return;
我急切地盼著老師快些返回,
but above all things I wanted to get down from that tree.
一心想從樹上爬下來。