Chapter V
第五章
I recall many incidents of the summer of 1887 that followed my soul's sudden awakening.
我想起了許多1887年夏天發生的事,正是這些事激發了我靈魂的覺醒。
I did nothing but explore with my hands and learn the name of every object that I touched;
那時我做不了什么,可是我會用自己的雙手去探索,去認知我觸摸到的每一件物體。
and the more I handled things and learned their names and uses,
我摸到的東西越多,了解這些東西的名稱和用途越廣,
the more joyous and confident grew my sense of kinship with the rest of the world.
我對自己同世界血脈相連的感受就越強烈,我的喜悅之情和信心也隨之增長。
When the time of daisies and buttercups came Miss Sullivan took me by the hand across the fields,
當雛菊和毛茛爭芳吐艷的時候,蘇立文小姐牽著我的手穿過田野。
where men were preparing the earth for the seed, to the banks of the Tennessee River,
沿著田納西河的兩岸,農人們正在做著播種的準備。
and there, sitting on the warm grass, I had my first lessons in the beneficence of nature.
坐在溫暖的草地上,我首次感受到了大自然對人類的饋贈。
I learned how the sun and the rain make to grow out of the ground every tree
我了解到了陽光和雨水如何滋潤土地上的每一棵樹木,
that is pleasant to the sight and good for food,
令它們長勢繁茂,開花結果。
how birds build their nests and live and thrive from land to land,
我還知道了鳥兒們如何搭建巢穴,如何遷徙生存;
how the squirrel, the deer, the lion and every other creature finds food and shelter.
松鼠、鹿、獅子和各種動物如何覓食逃生。
As my knowledge of things grew I felt more and more the delight of the world I was in.
隨著知識的增長,我對我所生存的這個世界越來越感興趣。
Long before I learned to do a sum in arithmetic or describe the shape of the earth,
很早以前我就學會了做算術題,或者描述大地的輪廓。
Miss Sullivan had taught me to find beauty in the fragrant woods, in every blade of grass,
蘇立文小姐教我學會了發現之美——在芬芳林木的擁抱中,在每一片草葉上,
and in the curves and dimples of my baby sister's hand.
在我小妹妹蜷曲柔弱、像長了酒窩的小手上,我的確找到了美。
She linked my earliest thoughts with nature,
她將我人生最初的思想同大自然連接在一起,
and made me feel that "birds and flowers and I were happy peers."
她讓我感受到了“鳥兒、花朵和我都是快樂的同伴”。