There was a moment of sinister silence, then a multitudinous stirring of the leaves.
接著,是片刻的寧靜,令人產生不祥的預感。
A shiver ran through the tree,
隨后,周圍的樹葉大肆抖動起來,
and the wind sent forth a blast that would have knocked me off had I not clung to the branch with might and main.
我身下的櫻桃樹發出一陣震顫,如果不是我用盡力氣緊緊抱住樹干,迎面而來的一股狂風就會把我掀到地上。
The tree swayed and strained.
樹搖晃得很厲害,
The small twigs snapped and fell about me in showers.
在風雨的裹挾下,我身邊的小樹枝噼啪作響,似乎在嘲笑我的渺小。
A wild impulse to jump seized me, but terror held me fast.
一陣狂暴的悸動攫住了我,恐懼感令我難以自抑。
I crouched down in the fork of the tree.
我蜷縮在樹杈之間,
The branches lashed about me.
任憑枝葉的鞭打。
I felt the intermittent jarring that came now and then,
我斷斷續續地感到了身邊強烈的震動,
as if something heavy had fallen and the shock had traveled up till it reached the limb I sat on.
仿佛有某種重物墜落。震顫在頭頂上劃過,一直傳到了我身下的樹杈上。
It worked my suspense up to the highest point,
我的不安已經達到了極限,
and just as I was thinking the tree and I should fall together,
因為我覺得我和大樹會一起倒下。
my teacher seized my hand and helped me down.
幸好我的老師及時抓住了我的手,把我從樹上弄下來。
I clung to her, trembling with joy to feel the earth under my feet once more.
我緊緊地依附在老師身邊,高興得渾身顫抖,我又一次感受到了腳下堅實的土地。
I had learned a new lesson—that nature "wages open war against her children,
我想我已經學會了新的一課——大自然時常會“向她的子民公然發起戰爭,
and under softest touch hides treacherous claws."
在其最溫柔的觸摸之下,隱藏著一雙險惡的利爪”。
After this experience it was a long time before I climbed another tree.
在經歷了這件事之后,有很長一段時間,我都沒有再爬樹。
The mere thought filled me with terror.
我留下來的唯一記憶就是恐懼。
It was the sweet allurement of the mimosa tree in full bloom that finally overcame my fears.
但是,金合歡樹盛開的花朵和迷人的芬芳終于使我戰勝了恐懼。
One beautiful spring morning when I was alone in the summer-house, reading,
那是一個春天的早晨,我正獨自在涼亭里閱讀。
I became aware of a wonderful subtle fragrance in the air.
漸漸地,我覺察到空氣中彌漫著一股淡淡的香氣。
I started up and instinctively stretched out my hands.
于是,我一下子站起來,本能地伸出雙手,
It seemed as if the spirit of spring had passed through the summer-house.
仿佛在探尋著穿過涼亭的春天的氣息。