June 29, 2016. My dear fellow citizen:
2016年6月29日,我親愛的公民朋友們:
I write to you today, to you who have lost in this era.
今天我在這向你們致辭,獻給那些迷失在這個時代中的人們。
At this moment in our common life,
在我們平凡生活中的這個時刻,
when the world is full of breaking and spite and fear,
在這個充滿了分裂,惡意,和恐懼的世界,
I address this letter simply to you,
我為你寫了這封信,
even though we both know there are many of you behind this "you," and many of me behind this "I."
即使我們都知道,這里的“你”代表了很多的人,這里的“我”也代表了很多人。
I write to you because at present, this quaking world we share scares me.
我給你們寫這封信的原因,是我們現處的這個不安全的世界嚇到了我,
I gather it scares you, too.
我猜它也嚇到了你們。
Some of what we fear, I suspect, we fear in common.
我懷疑有一些我們所恐懼的其實是相同的。
But much of what we fear seems to be each other.
但是我們很多的恐懼似乎源于彼此之間。
You fear the world I want to live in, and I fear your visions in turn.
你們害怕我想要生活的世界,我也害怕你們所想的那種。