So if we want to get rid of oil-based transportation, we can,
所以如果我們想放棄以石油為主的交通系統,我們完全可以,
because we have options now that we didn't have before. It's really exciting.
因為現在我們擁有以前所沒有的選擇。這真的是非常激動人心。
But of course, some get very uncomfortable with this idea,
不過當然,有些人會對這個想法感到不快,
and they will come and they will tell you that the world is stuck with oil, and so is Costa Rica, so get real.
然后他們會來跟你說,整個世界只能被石油左右,哥斯達黎加也在所難免,所以現實一點吧。
That's what they tell you. And you know what the answer to that argument is?
這是他們的說法。那你們知道該怎么回應這番辯詞嗎?
That in 1948, we didn't say the world is stuck with armies, so let's keep our army, too.
在1948年的時候,我們并沒有說因為世界都被軍隊掌控,那我們也留著我們的軍隊吧。
No, we made a very brave choice, and that choice made the whole difference.
不,我們做了一個勇敢的決定,而且這個決定為哥斯達黎加人民帶來了翻天覆地的改變。
So it's time for this generation to be brave again and abolish fossil fuels for good.
所以是時候該讓我們這一代人再次勇敢起來,徹底摒棄化石燃料。
And I'll give you three reasons why we have to do this.
而且我也有三個理由來解釋我們為什么一定要這樣做。
First, our model of transportation and urbanization is broken,
第一,我們的交通和城市化模式已經千瘡百孔,
so this is the best moment to redefine our urban and mobility future.
所以這是重新定義城市和運輸系統的未來的最佳時機。
We don't want cities that are built for cars.
我們不想要為汽車而建的城市。
We want cities for people where we can walk and we can use bikes.
我們想要的是為人民百姓而建的城市,在那里我們可以走路,可以騎自行車。
And we want public transportation, lots of it, public transportation that is clean and dignifying.
并且我們需要的是公共交通,龐大的,純凈無污染的,更高尚的公共交通系統。
Because if we continue adding fleets of conventional cars, our cities will become unbearable.
因為如果我們繼續購買更多的傳統汽車,我們的城市將不堪重負。