So the question is, what is the next big idea for this generation?
那么問題來了,我們這一代的下一個大想法又是什么呢?
And I believe what comes next is for this generation to let go of fossil fuels for good, just as we did with the army.
我相信我們這一代,將會為了更好的環境放棄使用化石燃料,就像我們當初廢除了軍隊一樣。
Fossil fuels create climate change.
化石燃料造成了全球氣候變化。
We know that, and we know how vulnerable we are to the impacts of climate change.
我們都知道這一點,也明白我們在面對氣候變化所帶來的影響時多么不堪一擊。
So as a developing country, it is in our best interest
所以身在一個發展中國家,在建設過程中
to build development without fossil fuels that harm people in the first place.
摒棄化石燃料才是我們最好的選擇,因為這本身就是在傷害我們自己。
Because why would we continue importing oil for transportation if we can use electricity instead?
因為當我們可以用電力來代替石油的時候,我們為什么要繼續為了交通運輸而進口石油?
Remember, this is the country where electricity comes from water in our rivers,
請記住,這是一個從江河的水流,
heat from volcanoes, wind turbines, solar panels, biowaste.
火山的炙熱,風力發電機,太陽能板和生物廢料中獲取電能的國家。
Abolishing fossil fuels means disrupting our transportation system
放棄化石燃料意味著交通系統也必須跟著變革,
so that we can power our cars, buses and trains with electricity instead of dirty energy.
所以我們就可以用電能來發動私家車,公共汽車和火車,而不再是用會污染環境的石油。
And transportation, let me tell you, has become an existential issue for us Costa Ricans,
而且讓我告訴你們,交通已經成為哥斯達黎加人生活中的一個麻煩了,
because the model we have is not working for us.
因為現在我們的交通模式并不適合我們。