As the days went by, Wilbur grew and grew.
日子一天天過去,威爾伯越長越大。
He ate three big meals a day.
它一天大吃三頓。
He spent long hours lying on his side,
它舒舒服服地側身躺上很長時間,
half asleep, dreaming pleasant dreams.
半睡半醒,做著美夢。
He enjoyed good health and he gained a lot of weight.
它身體很棒,胖了許多。
One afternoon, when Fern was sitting on her stool,
一天下午,當弗恩正坐在她的凳子上時,
the oldest sheep walked into the barn,
最老的那只羊走進谷倉,
and stopped to pay a call on Wilbur.
停下來看威爾伯。
"Hello!" she said. "Seems to me you're putting on weight."
“你好,”它說,“我覺得你發福了。”
"Yes, I guess I am," replied Wilbur.
“是的,我想是的,”威爾伯回答說,
"At my age it's a good idea to keep gaining."
“在我這個歲數,不斷長胖是件好事。”
"Just the same, I don't envy you," said the old sheep.
“不過我不羨慕你,”那老羊說,
"You know why they're fattening you up, don't you?"
“你知道他們為什么讓你長胖嗎?”
"No," said Wilbur.
“不知道,”威爾伯說。
"Well, I don't like to spread bad news," said the sheep,
“唉,我不想當小廣播,”老羊說,
"but they're fattening you up because they're going to kill you, that's why."
“不過他們讓你長胖只為了要殺你,就是這么回事。”