Since the days of George Washington, presidents have delivered some form of final message while in office - a farewell address to the American people.
從喬治·華盛頓開始,總統們就在就職的最后時間里發表一些想法--向美國人民發表的告別演講。
On Tuesday night, in Chicago, I'll deliver mine.
在周二晚上,在芝加哥,我將發表我的告別演講。
I chose Chicago not only because it's my hometown - where I met my wife and we started a family
我選擇芝加哥不僅僅因為那里是我的家鄉--在那里我遇到了我的妻子,我們組成了家庭
but also because it's really where my career in public service began.
而且因為那里是我在公共服務領域職業真正開始的地方。
The running thread through my career has been the notion that when ordinary people get involved, get engaged,
我職業生涯的過程中,一直是有著這樣的信念。當普通人參與進來,
and come together in collective effort, things change for the better.
加入進來,一起進行集體性努力,事情才會變得更好。
That's the belief at the heart of this precious American experiment in self-government.
這樣的信念,一直存在于美國人民在自治政府的珍貴試驗中。
It's what gives work and purpose to each new generation.
正是這些,給予新的每一代人就業機會和目的。
It's easy to lose sight of that truth in the day-to-day back-and-forth of Washington or our minute-to-minute news cycles.
很容易忽視華盛頓一天天,反復來回發生著的事情和我們每一分鐘消息循環的事實。
But remember that America is a story told over a longer time horizon
但記住,美國是這樣一個故事,在較長的時間中