Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Wow, Mark, looks like you've put on some pounds since I last saw you.
京晶:哇,馬克,你看起來比我上次見到你時胖了些啊。
Mark: Yep, I'll admit, I haven't been eating very healthy lately. I've been burning the candle at both ends at work lately. My boss has me working till almost 10:00 every night.
馬克:是的,我承認,我最近吃得不太健康,而且一直在熬夜工作。我的老板幾乎每天晚上都讓我工作到10點。
Jingjing: Well, I suggest you live by some guidelines in order to maintain your health.
京晶:嗯,我給你幾條建議,來保持健康。
Mark: Oh, yeah? Like what?
馬克:哦?比如說?
Jingjing: Well, you should make some golden rules for yourself, such as always eating at least three meals a day and getting good rest on a daily basis.
京晶:你應該給自己制定一些黃金法則,比如每天至少吃三餐,并且保證良好的睡眠。
Mark: It's easier said than done. I've tried the past couple of months to eat healthy, but I just can't do it.
馬克:這談何容易。我過去的幾個月一直在嘗試吃得健康,但我就是做不到啊。
Jingjing: You know what they say: trying is dying. Just do it! Come on, you're not the only one who works long hours. If I can do it, so can you. I can't stress the importance of sleep enough. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like a million dollars.
京晶:人們常說:光嘗試是不夠的,必須全力去做!加油,你不是唯一一個加班工作的人。如果我能做到,你也可以。睡眠最重要了,無論怎么強調都不為過。每當我睡了個好覺早晨醒來的時候,那感覺簡直棒極了。
Mark: Okay, I get the point. Starting right now, I'm gonna get back on the grind.
馬克:好吧,我明白了。現在開始,我要堅持下去。
Jingjing: Well, you'll have to let me know how it goes. You won't be disappointed!
京晶:你得讓我知道你的進展啊。效果一定不會讓你失望的!
習語短語
put on some pounds=長胖
burn the candle at both ends=日夜上班,熬夜加班
live by=遵守;遵循(規則或原則)
It's easier said than done.=這談何容易,站著說話不腰疼。
Trying is dying.=嘗試還不夠,你要真正做到這一點!
I can't stress the importance of (something) enough.=某事無論怎么強調都不為過,用來強調某事的重要性。
I feel like a million dollars.=我感覺棒極了。
on the grind=(形成)固定的規律
Dialogue 2
Mark and Jingjing are standing in line at the movie theater.
馬克和京晶在電影院排隊買票。
Mark: This movie is gonna be sweet. All of my friends said it was great.
馬克:這部電影肯定很棒。我所有的朋友看過都說好。
Jingjing: Oh, that reminds me. Would you mind spotting me a couple of bucks for the movie ticket? I'm running a little low on cash right now.
京晶:噢,你剛好提醒我了。你能不能借我點兒錢買電影票?我最近缺錢。
Mark: Well well well. You always harp on me about being irresponsible with my money. I think you need to practice what you preach.
馬克:哎呦喂,你平時總是批評我花錢不節制,原來你自己也沒做到啊。
Jingjing: Hold it right there. I do practice what I preach. It's just that today is a little different. School is just beginning and I spent a fortune on my books recently. One of my golden rules is: study comes first.
京晶:誰說的?我做到了呀。只是今天有點兒不同。因為學校剛剛開學,我花了好多錢來買書。我的一條黃金法則就是:學習永遠是第一位的。
Mark: Wow, I never thought I would see the day when you actually asked to borrow money from me. After all, it was you that I learned the quote: a penny saved is a penny earned.
馬克:哇,我從來沒有想過有一天你會問我借錢。畢竟我是從你那兒學到了:能省一點兒是一點兒。
Jingjing: Well, now you can learn from me that studying hard is important and should come before having fun.
京晶:好了,你現在又學到一點:學習永遠比享樂更重要。
Mark: Thanks for the valuable lesson. Now let's go see that movie, shall we?
馬克:感謝您又給我上了寶貴的一課。現在我們能去看電影了嗎?
Jingjing: Yes, we shall!
京晶:走!
習語短語
spot=借給
harp on(someone)=批評別人
practice what you preach=如果你要求別人如何做,你自己也應該做到;以身作則
Hold it right there.=誰說的?當你不同意別人的說法時做出的回應。
spend a fortune=支出很多錢
A penny saved is a penny earned.=每省下一分錢就是賺了一分錢,強調節約用錢的重要性。