We are always, simply, Americans.
簡單地說,我們一直是美國人。
That's why, through the fog of Civil War, President Lincoln saw what mattered most - the unalienable truths for which so many gave their lives,
也因此,透過內戰的迷霧,林肯總統看到了最至關重要的--不可剝奪的事實,眾多的人獻出了他們的生命,
and which made possible "a new birth of freedom."
然后讓"自由的新生"成為可能。
And so precisely when the fate of the Union hung in the balance,
因此恰恰是在聯邦命運飄忽不定的時候,
he boldly proclaimed a day of Thanksgiving,
他莊嚴地宣告了感恩節,
when the nation's gifts "should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged,
那是國家的禮物"應該是嚴肅的,虔誠的,被感激公認地,
as with one heart and one voice by the whole American people."
作為全部美國民眾同心同德,一起發聲。"
Today, we continue to give thanks for those blessings, and to all who ensured that they would be our inheritance.
今天我們繼續向那些祝福感恩,向所有那些確保著他們將是我們遺產的人們感恩。
We remember the determined patriots who landed at the edge of the world in search of freedom.
我們牢記,有決心的愛國者們,在世界的角落登陸來尋找自由。
We give thanks to the brave men and women who defend that freedom in every corner of the world.
我們感恩英勇的男男女女,他們捍衛著世界上每一個角落的自由。
And we honor all people - from the First Americans to our newest arrivals - who continue to shape our nation's story, enrich our heritage,
我們向所有的人們致敬--從最初的美國人到現在新成為我們的人--他們一直塑造著我們國家的故事,豐富著我們的遺產,
and give meaning to our founding values, values we must never take for granted.
并為我們的建國理念帶來了新的意義,我們永遠不能認為這樣的理念是理所當然的。