He made up his mind not to pay taxes.
他決心不再繳稅。
Trying broad margin meditation,
試著放寬冥想的界限,
I sit in the sunny doorway of my casita, amidst the yucca and loquats and purple rain birches.
我坐在陽光下的門廊邊坐在絲蘭花,枇杷和紫色的雨樺樹間。
Some I planted, some volunteered.
一些是我種的,一些是自行長出來的。
Birds, chickadees, finches, sparrows, pairs of doves, a pair of towhees, and their enemy, the jay.
鳥兒,山雀,燕雀,麻雀,成對的鴿子,一對紅眼雀,還有它們的天敵松雞。
Hawk overhead. Barn swallows at twilight.
老鷹在頭頂上飛來飛去,暮色中谷倉上棲息著燕子。
I know: Thoreau sat with notebook and pencil in hand.
梭羅拿著本子和筆,靜靜的坐著。

Days full of writing.
日復一日的寫作。
A wonderful thing that I could accomplish in this long poem
在這首長詩里我能做到的美妙的事
is that I found a way to end some of the stories that I started in my first book The Woman Warrior.
就是找到了結我在第一本書《女戰士》里開頭的一些故事。
I am going to read to you from the very beginning of The Woman Warrior
我會從《女戰士》的最開頭開始讀給你們聽
in which a curse was placed on our family and...
在開頭,我的家庭被下了詛咒……
Well I will just read it and this will give you a... the background for something that I will do in the long poem.
我會讀給你們聽,給你們提供一些長詩的相關背景。