What good am I getting out of this?
我能從其中得到什么好處?
I'm not stopping time.
我無法停止時間。
Nothing to show for my expenditures. Pure nothing.
我付出的得不到回報。
The war count, as of today:
戰爭造成巨大的影響:
Almost 2,000 killed in Iraq. G.I.s.
美國軍人中有2000人在伊拉克喪生。
Not counting Afghanis, Iraqis, civilians, mercenaries, children, babies, journalists.
還沒人計算過喪生的阿富汗人,伊拉克人,這些平民,商人,兒童,嬰兒,記者的喪生人數。
Seven days before my birthday,
我生日的7天前,
I had breakfast with Mary Gordon, who's always saying things I never thought before:
和瑪麗·戈登一起吃早餐,她總說一些我從未想過的事情:
"It's capitalistic of us to expect any good " from peace demonstrations,
從和平示威中期待任何的好結果是典型的資本主義幻想,

as if ritual has to have use, gain, profit."
好像這些儀式就會有用,有所裨益似的"
I agreed, "Yes, it's Buddhist to go parading for the sake of parading."
我附和著 “是的,佛教徒都是為了游行而游行。”
"Can you think of a writer (besides Chekhov) who is holy and an artist?" "Grace Paley."
“你能想到哪個作家(除了契訶夫)是思想神圣的藝術家嗎?” “格蕾絲·佩利。”
She smiled. "Well, yes." Obviously. "Thoreau."
她笑了。“哦,是的,”顯然的。"還有梭羅。"
"Oh, no. Thoreau's too Protestant, tidy, nonsexual.
"哦不,梭羅太清教徒了,一絲不茍,極度保守。
He goes home to Mom for hot chocolate.
他回家看媽媽,為了喝熱巧克力。
No sex, no tragedy, no humour."
沒有性生活,沒有悲劇,也沒有幽默感。"
Come to think of it, Thoreau doesn't make me laugh.
好好想一想吧,梭羅可不會讓我發笑。