Well we wanna now do our official opening remarks and get onto the first session.
現在我們要開始 正式開場白 開始我們的第一講
Torture is a very old topic, we'll hear about the ancient Roman experience of torture tomorrow,
酷刑折磨是個非常古老的話題 我們明天會聽到 古羅馬的折磨和酷刑歷史
but I wanted to just start with a quote from Seneca's Consolation to Marcia that reminds us of how old this topic is.
我開篇想引用塞內加在《安慰瑪利亞》中 寫到的一段話 這段話提醒了我們
Over there I see torture devices not of a single design but constructed in different ways by different people.
這個話題到底有多么古老 我在那里看到的折磨手段不是單一的設計
Some men have hung their victims upside down, others have driven a stake through the genitals.
而是不同的人用不同的方式構建出來的 有些人把受刑者倒著吊掛起來 有些人用木樁刺穿受刑人的生殖器
Others have wrenched the arms with a fork-shaped yoke.
還有些人用叉形牛軛扭斷別人的手臂
I see racks, I see whippings and each joint and limb has its own custom made torture machine.
我看到拷問臺 鞭刑 人類的每個關節和軀干 都有自己特定的折磨工具
And that was in um the 1st century AD.
塞內加是在公元1世紀寫下這番話的
Unfortunately it's also a very new topic as you've already heard from the student papers uh,
不幸的是 折磨也是個新話題 相信聽了學生論文 你們應該已經清楚這點了
talking about everything from private contractors to the practises at Guantanamo.
他們在論文中探討了各種各樣的折磨手段 從私人承包者到關塔那摩審訊手段 等一下