Imagine that you are a product designer.
把自己想象成一個產品設計師。
And you've designed a product, a new type of product, called the human immune system.
你設計了一種產品,一種叫做人體免疫機制的新產品
You're pitching this product to a skeptical, strictly no-nonsense manager.
你在向一個持質疑態度、不容許講廢話的經理推銷這種產品
Let's call him Bob. I think we all know at least one Bob, right?
讓我們叫他鮑勃。我想每個人都至少認識一個鮑勃,對吧
How would that go?
將會發生什么呢
Bob, I've got this incredible idea for a completely new type of personal health product.
鮑勃,我有了一個美妙的想法,我要做一種全新的個人健康產品
It's called the human immune system.
它叫做人體免疫機制
I can see from your face that you're having some problems with this.
我能從你的反應看出你不太相信
Don't worry. I know it's very complicated.
不要擔心,我知道這不好理解
I don't want to take you through the gory details,
我不會贅述令人肉麻的細節
I just want to tell you about some of the amazing features of this product.
我只想告訴你這種產品的幾個驚人之處
First of all, it cleverly uses redundancy by having millions of copies of each component
首先,它巧妙地使用了龐大性,它擁有上百萬備用的同種組織
leukocytes, white blood cells before they're actually needed, to create a massive buffer against the unexpected.
比如血白細胞,來制造應對突發情況的有效方案
And it cleverly leverages diversity by having not just leukocytes but B cells, T cells, natural killer cells, antibodies.
其次它有著多樣性,不只是有白血細胞,還有B細胞、T細胞、自然殺傷細胞和抗體
The components don't really matter. The point is that together,
重要的不是它的組成部分。重要的是合在一起
this diversity of different approaches can cope with more or less anything that evolution has been able to throw up.
這種有著不同種類的多樣性,幾乎可以解決進化中出現的所有問題
And the design is completely modular.
而且它的設計十分模塊化
You have the surface barrier of the human skin,
有著人體皮膚的表面保護
you have the very rapidly reacting innate immune system and then you have the highly targeted adaptive immune system.
不僅有與生俱來的反應敏捷的免疫機制,還有著適應力極強的高效免疫系統
The point is, that if one system fails, another can take over, creating a virtually foolproof system.
即使一種機制失效,另一種也能及時補上,創造出十分安全的系統