Dialogue 1
Mark: Hey, Jingjing, about time you showed up! I was waiting for over an hour. Is everything okay?
馬克:嘿,京晶,你終于出現了!我等了你一個多小時了。沒出什么事吧?
Jingjing: Yeah, I'm fine. I'm really sorry I'm late. Traffic is really sluggish today! I should have given you a heads up.
京晶:沒有,我很好。真的很抱歉我遲到了。今天交通實在是太糟糕了!我應該告訴你一聲的。
Mark: Yeah, yeah. Shoulda coulda woulda.
馬克:是啊……應該……知道還不告訴我一聲。
Jingjing: Hey! I said I was sorry. Besides, weren't you late last week when we went to see a movie?
京晶:嘿!我說了我很抱歉。況且,我們上周末去看電影你不也遲到了么?
Mark: Hey, I'm just playing with you! Anyways, I think I know why traffic was so bad today.
馬克:哈,我只是逗你玩呢!而且,我想我知道為什么今天的交通如此糟糕。
Jingjing: Oh, yeah? Why's that?
京晶:哦,是嗎?為什么?
Mark: Because school is just starting back up! All the students are busy moving back into their dormitories.
馬克:因為學校都陸續開學了!所有的學生都在忙著搬回到他們的宿舍去。
Jingjing: Oh, that's true. Hey, sometimes I miss the old days of being in school. Work can be more stressful than school sometimes.
京晶:哦,確實是這樣。哎,有時候我很懷念學生時代。有時工作比學習緊張多了。
Mark: I know what you mean. I miss being a student too. But at least now we can live our own lives independently and make a little moola.
馬克:是啊。我也很懷念學生時代。但現在的好處是,至少我們可以獨立生活并且賺錢啦。
Jingjing: Word. Hey, let's use some of that moola right now and go eat lunch. I'm starving!
京晶:沒錯。嘿,讓我們花點兒票子,去吃午飯吧。我餓死了!
Mark: Good idea, let's go.
馬克:好主意,我們走吧。
習語短語
(It's) about time...=終于……
例如:It's about time you've finished your schoolwork. 你終于完成你的功課了!
sluggish=某事物移動或流動得很緩慢,常指交通
give someone a heads up=提前通知某人某事
Shoulda coulda woulda.=指現在說也晚了,當對方說“我本應該做……”卻沒有做的時候用 (故意為難對方)。
play with someone=和某人開玩笑
the old days=[俚語]指過去
moola=[俗語]金錢
word=[年輕人的流行語]這里是類似于“我明白”,如果發音為升調,它的功能等同于“真的嗎?”
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark are sitting down at a restaurant having a conversation.
京晶和馬克在餐廳交談。
Jingjing: So, what do you miss most about being in school, Mark?
京晶:馬克,學校最讓你懷念的是什么?
Mark: I miss the sense of accomplishment after doing well on my tests and homework.
馬克:我最懷念考試考好和完成家庭作業之后的成就感。
Jingjing: Really? So you mean you miss your teachers and parents hailing you for doing a good job?
京晶:真的嗎?所以,你的意思是你懷念老師和家長稱贊你學習好嗎?
Mark: Yeah, basically.
馬克:是的,基本上是這樣。
Jingjing: So in other words, you were a teacher's pet?
京晶:所以,換句話說,你原來是老師的寵兒嘍?
Mark: I'll admit, I was! I always liked making my teachers happy. What about you?
馬克:我承認,確實是!我總是喜歡讓我的老師高興。你呢?
Jingjing: I can't say I was a teacher's pet. Don't get me wrong, I was still a good student and got good grades, but I was never after the approval of my teachers.
京晶:我不能說我是老師的寵兒。但不要誤會我的意思,我還是個好學生,并取得了很好的成績,但我從來沒有在意過老師的表揚。
Mark: Oh, I see. Cool. Well, what subject did you like best?
馬克:哦,我明白了。酷,那你最喜歡什么科目呢?
Jingjing: Math was always my favorite. I'm a natural number cruncher.
京晶:數學一直是我的最愛。我天生就會和數字打交道。
Mark: You liked Math? Cool! You'd probably make a good bean counter if you wanted to.
馬克:你喜歡數學?厲害!如果你愿意的話,你可以成為一個優秀的會計師。
Jingjing: Thanks, but I think I'll stick with being a radio host. That's my passion in life. What's yours?
京晶:謝謝,但我想我還是會堅持做一名電臺主持人。這才是我生命中的熱情所在。你呢?
Mark: I like teaching English, and of course, helping others.
馬克:我喜歡教英語,當然,還有幫助他人。
Jingjing: Oh, really? Well, you could help me foot the bill?
京晶:哦,真的嗎?太好了,那你能不能幫我買單?
Mark: I suppose I could do that... Waiter! Check please!
馬克:我想我能做到這一點……服務員!買單!
習語短語
hail=[動詞]贊美,致敬
teacher's pet=老師的寵兒
Don't get me wrong.=不要誤會我的意思,不瞞你說。
number cruncher=擅長與數字打交道的人
bean counter=[俚語]會計師
stick with (something)=堅持做某事,不會改變
my passion in life=我生活中最大的熱情,我最喜歡的東西(如嗜好)
foot the bill=買單