1. 在表示“看法”的謂語動詞上的否定形式,語義上卻是否定后面的賓語從句。此類動詞有:think, believe, suppose, imagine, expect, anticipate, fancy, consider, find, guess, be supposed to, calculate, figure, reckon。
I don't believe I've met you before.
我認為我沒有見過你。
I don't think you will be late.
我認為你不會遲到。
I don't suppose he cares, does he?
我看他不在乎,對吧?
He doesn't expect we need worry.
他認為我們不必著急。
I don't reckon she is old enough to go to school.
我認為她還沒到上學的年紀。
上述表示“看法”或“判斷”的動詞出現以下情況時,其否定不發生轉移:
(1)用作插入語時,否定不轉移:
Li Lei, I think, won't be angry with you.
我想李蕾不會生你的氣。
Tom, I suppose, won't be against it.
我猜想湯姆不會反對。
(2)這些動詞跟其他另一個動詞一起作并列謂語時:
I believe and hope he won't do that.
我相信并且也希望他將不會那樣做。
(3)用于疑問句時:
Do you think it is not going to rain?
你認為天不會下雨嗎?
(4)主句中添加情態動詞 can't, mustn't, wouldn't時:
You mustn't think he's stupid.
你不應該認為他愚蠢。
I wouldn't have imagined that you would be here.
我不曾想到你會在這兒。
I can't imagine how he could survive that car accident.
我想象不出在那次車禍中他是怎樣活命的。
(5)think, expect 作“料想”講時:
I didn't expect I'd meet you here.
我沒料到會在這里碰上你。
We didn't think he is such a selfish man.
我們沒料到他是這樣一個自私的人。
(6)suppose, think 用于祈使句式或被副詞修飾時:
Don't suppose you have passed the exam, for this is only a part of the exam.
別以為你通過了考試,這僅僅是考試的一部分。
I simply don't think you will give me a hand when I'm in difficulty.
我根本不指望你在我困難的時候能幫助我。
I really don't think it's necessary for us to go there now.
我的確不認為我們有必要去那兒。
I feel strongly that he shouldn't do such a thing.
我強烈地認為他不應該做那樣的事。
(7)上述動詞所接的賓語從句中如有all, every, many, both 等表全體意義的詞或副詞時:
I don't believe both of them are innocent.
我不相信他們兩個都是清白的。
I never expect all the students will do the exercises after classes.
我從不抱希望于所有學生都會在課外做作業。
We don't consider everybody in our class is interested in this topic.
我們并不認為班里的每個人都對這個話題感興趣。
(8)由于cannot help, ought not, need not, not at all 等短語的關系而把I think 隔離:
I should have thought sometimes you couldn't help thinking of the past.
我應該想到你會禁不住想起過去。
I think you ought not to walk at night alone, Mrs. Moore.
我認為您不該夜晚獨自出行,摩爾女士。
I think you need not be impolite to her,as well as to her son.
我認為你不必對她不禮貌,也不必對他的孩子如此。
"I think the angel are not at all in heaven." Mr. Esmond said.
Esmond先生說:“我不相信天堂里有天使。”
2. 在表示“感覺”的謂語動詞上的否定形式,語義上卻否定表語部分。此類動詞有:appear, seem, feel, sound, taste, smell, as if, feel, look ,sound, feel like, look like。
The old streets don't appear deserted. ( not deserted.)
老街看樣子還沒被廢棄。
I'm not feeling very well today. My head aches. ( not very well...)
我今天感到不怎么舒服,頭痛。
The food doesn't taste fresh. ( not fresh...)
食物嘗起來不鮮。
It doesn't seem that they know where to go.
看來他們不知道往哪去。
It doesn't appear that we'll have a sunny day tomorrow.
看來我們明天不會碰上好天氣。
3. seem, prove, happen 與不定式構成復合謂語,形式上否定謂語,語義上否定不定式。
The president didn't happen to attend that meeting. (happen not to attend...)
董事長碰巧沒參加那次會議。
Your answer doesn't seem to be right. (seem not to be... )
你的答案看起來似乎不正確。
Jack doesn't seem to like you. (=Jack seems not to like you.)
杰克看來不喜歡你。
The news didn't seem to be true.
這個消息好象并不是真的。
4. pretend, remember 的賓語為非謂語動詞時,形式上否定謂語,語義上否定賓語,即非謂語動詞。
My Italian friend didn't pretend to see her tutor in the dining room. (pretend not to see...)
我的意大利朋友在餐廳里假裝沒看見她導師。
I couldn't remember having carried my wallet out. (否定having...)
我記得不曾帶錢包出門。
v. 假裝,裝作
adj. 假裝的