]
And so I think there are, in my mind, there probably are only two broad categories in the entire history, the last 250 years,
我想在過去整個250年的歷史中,大概只有兩大類公司
where people have actually come up with new things, and made money doing so.
發明了新事物并賺了錢
One is these sort of vertically integrated complex monopolies
其中一類是在19世紀末20世紀初
which people did build in the second industrial revolution at the end of the 19th and started the 20th century.
第二次工業革命中形成的垂直綜合性壟斷企業
And so this was like Ford, it was the vertically integrated oil companies like Standard Oil.
比如福特汽車或者標準石油公司
And what these vertically integrated monopolies typically required was this very complex coordination.
這些垂直綜合性壟斷企業通常需要復雜的協調機制
You've got a lot of pieces to fit together in just the right way,
需要把公司的各個部分以正確的方式結合在一起
when you assembled it, you had a tremendous advantage.
這樣才能獲得巨大的優勢
This is actually done surprisingly little today.
這在今天已經不常見了
And so I think this is sort of a business form that when people can pull it off is very valuable.
這種形式的公司只要能做好,價值很大
It's typically fairly capital intensive.
這是典型的資本密集型企業
We live sort of in a, in a culture where is very hard
但我們現在的思維已經不一樣了
to get people to buy into anything that's super complicated, and it takes very long to build.
我們很難去參與高度復雜的事情耗費的時間太久
But I, you know, when I sort of think about my colleague Elon Musk
我常常想起我在Paypal的同事埃隆·馬斯克
from PayPal success with Tesla and Space X,
后來也在特斯拉和SpaceX取得成功
I think the key to these companies was the complex vertically integrated monopoly structure they had.
我認為這些公司成功的關鍵在于它們具有復雜的垂直綜合性壟斷結構