I have laboured for over twelve years, one thousand pages of prose.
我已經辛苦寫作了20多年,寫了1000頁的散文。
Now I want the easiness of poetry.
現在我想要輕松些,寫寫詩歌。
The brevity of the poem.
詩歌很簡潔,
Poets are always happy,
詩人們總是快樂的,
I want to be always happy.
我也想要時常快樂。
No plotting anymore plots.
沒有再多的情節。
For the long book (about the long wars in Vietnam and in the Middle East),
因為書(有關越南和中東耗時長久的戰爭 ,
I sacrificed time with my child, grown and gone, and my husband and family and friends, who should have been loved more.
我為之犧牲了和孩子們,我的丈夫、家庭和朋友們共處的時光一去不復返,他們本該得到我更多的愛。

The long book has got to be done soon, and I'll be free to live.
那本長篇已經快寫完了,我就自由了。
I won't be a workhorse anymore: I'll be a skylark. Free of obligations.
不會再那么高負荷工作了:就像無牽無掛的云雀。
I am sixty years old; I have enough reputation and fame and money.
我已經60歲了,有足夠的聲名和金錢。
Poets don't care too much for money.
詩人們并不太在乎錢財。
I declare to you: I'm making a try for poetry.
這是我的聲明:我要嘗試著寫詩歌。
Say one becomes Poet by grace ... beauty and truth hap upon the Poet ... all gift, no labour ...
一個人優雅的成為詩人……擁有美麗和真實,所有的天賦,不再辛苦……
the muse flies over, and drops jewels upon the poet's head and into open hands, I will go about lifting an empty basket to the air.
智慧的繆斯飛過,在詩人的頭頂和張開的雙手撒下珍寶,我會繼續將空著的籃子舉向天空。
I want poetry to be the way it used to come when I was a child.
我想要詩歌成為,我兒時接觸它時的模樣。