That it is the most likelihood outcome of just contact hypothesis, just getting them to be together.
接觸假設 只讓人們一起交談最可能的結果是引起更多沖突
And there were many people trying to resolve the conflict, not just in the Middle East, else in the world,
有很多人都試圖解決沖突不只在中東 世界各地都有這種情況
With very good intentions but very often making inadvertently the matters worse.
人們都心存好意但往往在不經意間使事情變得更糟
Idealism and good intentions are not enough. We need to merge, to mate the research with the practice.
理想主義和善意是不夠的我們需要將理論結合實踐
And this is where you come in, taking it seriously now.
需要你們這樣做認真對待
when I take it seriously, there is a problem here
但當我認真對待這事就出現了一個問題
Because sometimes research doesn't deliver good news. It would be much easier and nicer
有時研究所得并不一定是好消息如果僅僅是將
If we could just simply get Israelis and Arabs together and the conflict would end.
以色列人和阿拉伯人聚在一起 沖突就結束那事情就簡單得多 容易得多
It would be much nicer and easier, smoother, it would be much easier,
這將讓事情變得更簡單非常容易
If we could just cultivate children self esteem by giving them positive feedback
如果我們要培養孩子自尊僅僅通過多一些贊美
Telling them how wonderful they are. It's easy to do, right?
告訴他們 他們有多棒這很容易做到 不是嗎?
It feels good. They feel good. We feel good. But in the long run, it doesn't help, if it's only that.
這樣感覺很好 他們感覺良好 我們也是但從長遠來看 僅僅這樣做并沒有幫助
Much easier. And research very often delivers bad news,
只是容易而已研究往往帶來壞消息
Saying it's not enough the contact; it's not enough to praise.
只是接觸還不夠只是贊揚還不夠