Hi everybody, it's Joe Biden.
大家好。我是喬·拜登。
I delivered a report to President Obama laying out how far we've come since he put me in charge of the Cancer Moonshot that was back in January
我向奧巴馬總統提交了報告,說明了自他讓我在1月份開始負責治愈癌癥的登月計劃開始所取得的進展
and lay out a real vision for where we need to go in the immediate future to:
在很近的未來日子里,這是我們需要實現的,也是很現實的愿景:
to do in five years what would otherwise take ten;
在五年時間里完成需要十年里才能完成的事情;
to inject a real sense of urgency into the fight against cancer;
在戰勝癌癥上注入更緊急的意識;
and to change the culture and reimagine our system in order to be able to win.
改變文化并重新規劃我們的體系以便能夠取得勝利。
When President Nixon declared war on cancer in 1971, he had no army, he had no resources, and no clear strategy.
當尼克松總統在1971年宣布對癌癥的戰爭時,他沒有軍隊,沒有資源,沒有明確的戰略。
But after 45 years of progress, funding research, training scientists and physicians, and treating millions of patients -- we now have the army.
但在取得45年進展之后,有資金支持研究,培訓著科學家和內科醫生,治療了數百萬患者--我們現在有了軍隊。
We now have tools, powerful tools. And with this Moonshot, we now have a clear strategy for the road ahead.
我們現在有了有力的工具。有了登月計劃,我們現在對未來的道路有了明確的戰略。
It matters, folks, because there's a consensus now that we're at an inflection point
這很重要,因為很明確,我們處于拐點之上
with science, medicine, and technology all advancing faster than ever and offering real promise.
有著比以往更先進的科學,醫藥和技術,并做出了實質性承諾。
We can't play by the rules of 1971 -- we didn't have this working for us.
但我們不能遵循1971年的規則--那時我們沒有當下的這些資源。