So if you get sick, that sticks you with a lousy choice.
所以,如果你病了,這讓你被迫進行艱難的選擇。
Do you go to work and get everyone else sick, too?
你是去工作或者讓每一個其他的人也生病?
Or do you take care of yourself at the risk of a paycheck?
或者你注意了自己的健康,而讓薪水泡湯了。
If your kid gets sick, do you send her to school anyway?
如果你的孩子病了,無論如何,你會把她送到學校去嗎?
Or do you stay home to take care of her, lose a day's pay, and maybe even put your own job at risk?
或者你會留在家里照顧她,而喪失一天的薪水,甚至可能有喪失自己工作的風險。
We shouldn't have to make choices like that in America.
在美國,我們本不必做出這樣的選擇。
That's why I've repeatedly called on the Republican Congress to pass a law
也因此,我已經再三呼吁共和黨人的國會通過法案,
guaranteeing most workers in America the chance to earn seven days of paid sick leave each year.
確保美國大多數的人們有機會每年都有七天帶薪病假。
Of course, Congress hasn't acted.
當然,國會并沒有行動。
But we've also worked with states, cities, and businesses to try to get the job done
但我們也必須和各州,各城市和眾多的商家來完成這一工作
and many have, pointing to research showing that paid leave actually helps their bottom line.
很多已經這么做了,他們指出,研究表明,帶薪病假實際上可以符合他們的底線。
In fact, since I took office, another ten million private sector workers have gained paid sick leave – making up a record share of our workforce.
事實上,自我就職以來,又有近千萬私營部門員工獲得了帶薪休假的福利--創造了我們勞動力市場的記錄。
Unfortunately, there are still about 40 million private sector workers who don't get a single day.
不幸的是,仍然有4000萬私營部門員工一天也得不到這樣的福利。
That's why I'm doing what I can on my own.
也因此我在做我自己能做的事情。