The second time Wilbur woke, he heard the goose turning on her nest and chuckling to herself.
威爾伯第二次醒來,聽見母鵝在窩里轉來轉去,自個兒在咯咯笑。
"What time is it?" whispered Wilbur to the goose.
“這是什么時候了?”威爾伯悄悄地問它。
"Probably-obably-obably about half-past eleven," said the goose.
“大概——大概——大概是十一點半吧,”母鵝說,
"Why aren't you asleep, Wilbur?"
“你為什么不睡啊,威爾伯?”
"Too many things on my mind," said Wilbur.
“我心里想的東西太多了,”威爾伯說。
"Well," said the goose, "that's not my trouble.
“唉,”母鵝說,“我倒不為這個煩。
I have nothing at all on my mind, but I've too many things under my behind.
我心里什么東西也沒有,可我屁股底下東西太多了。
Have you ever tried to sleep while sitting on eight eggs?"
你試過蹲在八個蛋上面睡覺嗎?”
"No," replied Wilbur. "I suppose it is uncomfortable.
“沒有,”威爾伯回答,“我想那是很不舒服的。
How long does it take a goose egg to hatch?"
一個鵝蛋孵出來小鵝來要多少時間呢?”
"Approximately-oximately thirty days, all told," answered the goose.
“大家說,大概——大概——大概三十天,”母鵝答道,
"But I cheat a little.
“不過我也玩點小把戲。
On warm afternoons, I just pull a little straw over the eggs and go out for a walk."
下午天氣暖和,我拉點麥草把蛋蓋上,自己到外面去溜達一會兒。”