Track One
From a very young age I had a bit of a fascination with flying
我自兒時便有些迷上了飛行
Bit of a fascination with speed
著迷那樣的高速(駕駛)
As I went through school and into my A-Levels I wanted to pursue a flying career
初中畢業后進入高中學習,從那時起我就開始決定要追求飛行事業
I was lucky enough to get a flying scholarship with the Royal Air Force
我非常幸運地獲得了皇家空軍的飛行獎學金
They taught me to fly or gave me some flying lessons when I was seventeen, eighteen.
我十七八歲的時候,他們教會了我如何飛行,還教給我很多有關飛行的知識
Went to university—joined the University Air Squadron there
上大學后,我加入了學校的空軍中隊
Had more of an insight into the air force and had some more flying
這讓我對空軍有了更多了解,也獲得了更多的飛行經驗
At that point I was hooked—I knew I wanted to fly and knew I wanted to be a Royal Air Force pilot.
那個時候我已經徹底愛上飛行,我知道我渴望飛行,并且想要成為一名皇家空軍的飛行員
I applied and was successful enough to fly ‘fast jets’ and then to be in a position to apply for the Red Arrows and be successful to join.
我申請后成功獲得了駕駛“快速噴氣機”的機會,然后就有資格申請加入紅箭了,我成功了
In the university air squadron what were you flying?
你在大學的飛行中隊中都駕駛了什么飛機呢?
A Grob Tutor—two seat piston aircraft
格勞博教練機,兩座活塞式飛機
How long did it take you before you could fly on your own?
你用了多長時間才能獨立飛行呢?
Ten hours—you are in at the deep end so you had about ten hours then you go off on your own
十個小時,從沒有任何經驗的情況下被置于一種很難的環境當中,所以有十個小時,然后就自己駕駛了
I remember vividly what it felt like being at the end of a runway and you are in an aircraft on your own—it was a great feeling.
我一直記得很清楚那種在跑道盡頭等待起飛,然后獨自駕駛著飛機一飛沖天的感覺,真是棒極了!
You do a lot of theory based—a lot of practical and then a lot in the aircraft
也要學習許多飛行理論吧,很多實操,然后在飛行中操作運用
Ten hours in the aircraft is quite a bit
在飛機中的十個小時太短暫了
We did the taxiing as we were flying
我們飛行的時候先滑行
Went out, got airborne and brought her back
出發、起飛然后飛回來
You were lined up on the runway—your very first solo flight
當在跑道上列隊就緒,人生中第一次獨立飛行時
It was one of those surreal moments
就像做夢一樣,不可置信
At the time you think it is fantastic—but you are actually concentrating on what is coming up next
當你覺得此時此刻實在太酷了的時候,你已經開始全神貫注在接下來的操作中
You have checks to do and you are actually working reasonably hard
你開始各種程序檢查,并且完全專注投入
It is then that you land afterwards, you get out and it sinks in what you have done—and it is a great feeling.
直到著陸后,你從機艙里走出,回味你之前完成的一切,此時的感覺爽呆了
Track Two
When you are going along the runway—you reach a point where there is no going back
滑上跑道之后——你只能前進,無法后退
Yes—you know what is happening—you get to that ‘Rotate’ point and you are going to get airborne
是的—你明白接下來會發生什么——你會到達那樣一個起飛臨界點,緊接著你將騰空而起
You are briefing yourself on what is going to come up next
你會簡略過一遍接下來的操作
but it is a great feeling, first time you get airborne on your own
但是這種感覺很棒,畢竟人生第一次單飛
Which is more thrilling, taking off or landing?
起飛和著陸,哪個更刺激?
That is a good question — they are both very similar - you are working very hard on both of them
問得好—這兩個很相似——你在這兩點上都付出很大的努力去學習和訓練
You don't have that time to think about it too much - you are just concentrating on the job in hand — so, equally!
你沒時間去想太多——你不得不集中注意力在手頭的操作上——因此我認為二者同樣刺激
You are doing this manually, it is not autopilot
你是手動操作的,不是自動駕駛嗎?
All the aircraft we fly —it is done manually
我們所有飛行的飛機——都是手動操作的
When you went into the Air Force —what were the aircraft you flew?
當你在空軍服役時——你駕駛的是什么飛機?
My flying career — it is very similar to many of the pilots in the Red Arrows
我的飛行生涯——和很多紅箭飛行員的很相似
I went through the training system
我通過了系統培訓
Once I was qualified to fly ‘fast jets' I went back and instructed
獲得駕駛“快速噴氣機”的資格后,我就開始執教
I instructed on the Tucano for three years
我駕駛Tucano 教練機執教了3年
in 2010 I was lucky to be able to display that.
在2010年,我就已經很幸運能夠駕駛該飛機表演
That gave me my first insight or flavour of what it was like to display aircraft
對于如何駕駛飛機表演,這給了我第一次的深刻的理解和認知
I went on to fly the Eurofighter Typhoon—I did that for three years
我還去駕駛了“歐洲臺風戰斗機”——我駕駛了三年
I applied to join the Red Arrows and was successful
然后我申請加入紅箭隊,成功了
‘Fast Jet' —what kind of speed?
“快速噴氣機”——什么樣的速度?
Speed is relative—in the Hawks we tend to fly around 400 knots —about 500 mph.
速度是相對的——我們駕駛鷹時大約是400節——就是500英里每小時
That is reasonably fast - the aircraft we fly in the Red Arrows is our training aircraft
那是相當的快了——我們在紅箭隊駕駛的飛機是訓練機
it can go supersonic — when we fly it the speed is around the 400 knot mark
它能夠超音速飛行——當我們駕駛它是速度是400節
There are other aircraft in the Royal Air Force that do go supersonic.
在皇家空軍有其他的飛機也是超音速的