However, that doesn't mean he isn't aware of the nuances...of cultural division and hierarchies.
這不是說,他看不出這些文化和社會層次之間的差別。
He just treats it all the same.
他只是對所有人都是平等的。
He really is the person who, whether you're a bicycle messenger, a woman who's breaking the glass ceiling on Wall Street, a socialite in New York...who's an up-and-comer and part of nouvelle society, or an old Dutch or German family...that is still in the last phases of its denouement in Newport...He doesn't care.
他是這樣的人不管你是自行車店的經歷亦或是砸破華爾街天花板的女人,還是紐約的交際花像小說中那樣受歡迎的人物,或是還活在Newport階段的古老的丹麥或德國人他都不在意。
It's all, for him, the huge variety of life in New York City.
對他來說,這些全部是形形色色的紐約生活。
When was the first time Bill photographed you?
Bill第一次給你拍照是什么時候?
In 1986, and the Times said...He came to me the next week and he said, "I'm so disappointed. The Times said we can't put you in because you're wearing a dress."
1986年過了一周他來找我,說"我很失望"。《紐約時報》說你穿著一條裙子,他們不會把你的照片登出來。(譯者注:Kenny是個異裝癖)
And he said, "But I'm going to keep trying to get you in."
他說他會繼續爭取把我的照片放出來。
And I was like, "What the hell? I'm wearing a pair of workman's boots with that dress."
我很詫異 "這是為什么?"我穿了一雙workman的靴子配這條裙子呢。”
And he said, "I know Kenny, but they won't put you in, but I'm trying."
他說"我明白的,Kenny,我還在努力,讓他們把你的照片放進去"。
And now, they put everything in.
現在,他們什么都敢登了。
He's such a maverick. Really a maverick.
Bill非常特立獨行。
He means so much to people like us. Really.
他對我們這樣的人來說很重要。
He's an artist.
他是個藝術家。
We'll talk.
我們改天再聊。