This is actually a courageous talk,
這真是一個無畏的演講
because you're kind of setting up yourself in some ways to be ridiculed in some quarters.
在某些地方你似乎把自己當成了一個笑柄讓大家嘲弄啊
You can get shot by both sides.
不管怎么說我都有可能被批評
You can get shot by the hard-headed atheists, and you can get shot by those who fully believe.
我可以被固執的無神論者批評,也可以被那些宗教人士扼殺
Incoming missiles from North Oxford at any moment.
任何時候都會被北牛津的導彈打趴
Indeed.
是啊
But you left out one aspect of religion that a lot of people might say
但是你漏掉了宗教的一個方面,很多人可能會說
your agenda could borrow from, which is this sense --
能借你的議程,這是種感覺--
that's actually probably the most important thing to anyone who's religious -- of spiritual experience,
可能是對信仰宗教人最重要的感覺--精神的體驗
of some kind of connection with something that's bigger than you are.
某種與比你更偉大的東西的連接
Is there any room for that experience in Atheism 2.0?
在你的無神論2.0中,有沒有類似的體驗呢
Absolutely. I, like many of you, meet people who say things like,
當然啦,我像你們一樣遇到很多人,他們說
"But isn't there something bigger than us, something else?"
"難道世界上不存在什么比我們人類更偉大的東西嗎?"
And I say, "Of course." And they say, "So aren't you sort of religious?"
我說 "當然有啦"。他們說 "那你就是認同宗教的咯?"
And I go, "No."
我說 "不是啊"
Why does that sense of mystery, that sense of the dizzying scale of the universe,
為什么這些神秘的感覺,被宇宙的偉大所觸動的感覺
need to be accompanied by a mystical feeling?
一定要和神扯上關系呢
Science and just observation gives us that feeling without it, so I don't feel the need.
科學和觀察可以給我們那種感覺,這和神沒有關系,所以我不覺得有相信神的必要
The universe is large and we are tiny, without the need for further religious superstructure.
宇宙很大,而我們很渺小,這不需要超自然學說來解釋吧
So one can have so-called spiritual moments without belief in the spirit.
所以一個人可以有精神上的體驗,即使他不相信有靈魂這東西
Actually, let me just ask a question.
好吧,現在讓我問個問題
How many people here would say that religion is important to them?
在場觀眾們有多少是覺得宗教對他們是非常重要的呢
Is there an equivalent process by which there's a sort of bridge
有沒有一種類似的說法,你們覺得他剛才說的和你們想說的
between what you're talking about and what you would say to them?
有種類似的地方呢