We recognize them in relation to corporations.
我們還認同他們像個企業
And corporations are very like religions in many ways, except they're right down at the bottom of the pyramid of needs.
公司企業和宗教有些相似之處,不過企業只提供最基本的物質
They're selling us shoes and cars.
企業給我們鞋子和汽車
Whereas the people who are selling us the higher stuff -- the therapists, the poets --
但是像治療師,詩人那些人,他們給我們更高層次的東西
are on their own and they have no power, they have no might.
但是他們是獨立的,沒有強大的權勢,他們沒有力量
So religions are the foremost example of an institution that is fighting for the things of the mind.
所以宗教就是個最棒的例子,告訴我們一個機構對于追思來說是很重要的
Now we may not agree with what religions are trying to teach us,
我們可能不同意宗教所傳授的教條
but we can admire the institutional way in which they're doing it.
但是我們可以贊賞他們組織起來的方法
Books alone, books written by lone individuals, are not going to change anything. We need to group together.
個人作家所寫的書本身是不會帶來什么改變的。我們需要團結在一起
If you want to change the world, you have to group together, you have to be collaborative. And that's what religions do.
如果我們想改變世界,我們必須團結奮斗,而這就是宗教所做的
They are multinational, as I say, they are branded, they have a clear identity, so they don't get lost in a busy world.
我說過他們是跨國的,他們有名有望,他們有明確的一致性,所以他們不會在繁亂的世界中迷失
That's something we can learn from. I want to conclude.
這是值得我們學習的。最后
Really what I want to say is for many of you who are operating in a range of different fields,
我想說的是,你們這些來自各行各業的人們
there is something to learn from the example of religion -- even if you don't believe any of it.
你們絕對可以從宗教中學習到些東西,即使你一點都不相信宗教的信仰
If you're involved in anything that's communal,
如果你生活在社會里
that involves lots of people getting together, there are things for you in religion.
如果你和很多人接觸,宗教里絕對有對你有用的東西
If you're involved, say, in a travel industry in any way, look at pilgrimage. Look very closely at pilgrimage.
如果你和旅游業有關,去參考朝圣。仔細地去學習研究朝圣
We haven't begun to scratch the surface of what travel could be
我們根本還不知道旅行到底是怎么一回事
because we haven't looked at what religions do with travel.
因為我們從來不學習宗教人士是如何旅行的
If you're in the art world, look at the example of what religions are doing with art.
如果你玩藝術,去參考宗教人士是怎么對待藝術的
And if you're an educator in any way, again, look at how religions are spreading ideas.
如果你是在教育界里,去參考宗教人士是如何傳播思想的