The two really bad ideas that are hovering in the modern world
在當代世界有兩個特別糟糕的想法
that inhibit our capacity to draw strength from art:
他們抑制了我們在藝術里獲得力量的本領
The first idea is that art should be for art's sake -- a ridiculous idea --
第一,藝術就為了藝術而存在 --說起來很荒謬 --
an idea that art should live in a hermetic bubble and should not try to do anything with this troubled world.
藝術應該在一個封閉的世界里存在,不應該去打擾我們世俗的糾紛
I couldn't disagree more.
我十分十分不贊同這個想法
The other thing that we believe is that art shouldn't explain itself, that artists shouldn't say what they're up to,
另外,我們還相信藝術不應該被詮釋,藝術家們不應該解釋他們到底在干什么
because if they said it, it might destroy the spell and we might find it too easy.
因為如果他們說了,藝術就沒有任何魔力了,而且我們還覺得藝術沒什么深度
That's why a very common feeling when you're in a museum -- let's admit it -- is, "I don't know what this is about."
這就是為什么在藝術館我們通常會感受到的--承認吧--我們會想 "我完全不知道這作品是什么東西"
But if we're serious people, we don't admit to that.
但如果我們是嚴肅的人,我們是不會承認的
But that feeling of puzzlement is structural to contemporary art.
但正是那樣的感覺構造了當代藝術
Now religions have a much saner attitude to art.
現在宗教對藝術有了很多理智的態度
They have no trouble telling us what art is about.
他們可以很簡單告訴我們什么是藝術
Art is about two things in all the major faiths.
在主流的信仰中,藝術無非關于兩種東西
Firstly, it's trying to remind you of what there is to love.
第一,藝術告訴你這世界有愛
And secondly, it's trying to remind you of what there is to fear and to hate.
第二,藝術提醒你這世界也有恐懼和憎恨
And that's what art is.
而這就是藝術
Art is a visceral encounter with the most important ideas of your faith.
藝術表達了你內心最重要的信仰
So as you walk around a church, or a mosque or a cathedral,
所以當你走進教堂,或者走進清真寺的時候
what you're trying to imbibe, what you're imbibing is, through your eyes, through your senses,
通過你的五官,你最想感受的是那些真理
truths that have otherwise come to you through your mind.
那些掠過你思想中的真理
Essentially it's propaganda. Rembrandt is a propagandist in the Christian view.
本質上那是宗教的宣傳。在基督教看來,倫勃朗是個宣傳者
Now the word "propaganda" sets off alarm bells.
現在 "宣傳"一詞讓人們警覺
We think of Hitler, we think of Stalin. Don't, necessarily.
我們想到希特勒和斯大林,但其實沒有這個必要
Propaganda is a manner of being didactic in honor of something.
這只是一個宣揚某種東西的手段
And if that thing is good, there's no problem with it at all.
如果宣揚的東西是有益處的,那這手段也沒什么問題